1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

my skull is brown

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by rice194, May 31, 2008.

1. Stuck whitetail skull in bucket of water, all the meat and everything is gone but it's brown. What happened? and what can I do to fix?

2. SilverSkin

SilverSkin SilverSkin GameWorks

Use your method of whitening and go from there...every skull is different. Once you whiten place some pics on here and Im sure we could help. good luck

3. AndyB

AndyB New Member

Before you go ahead and whiten it you should degrease it. Search the archives for a degreaser and put the skull through that then you can whiten it.
    AndyB

4. Helicity

Helicity Squirrels – Natures Road Bumps

I know alot of peopel do not read the archives so pick any excess meat off and put it in a container of dawn and water and let it soak for 1 1/2 weeks or so depending on what type of skull and how greasy it is. Then whiten with peroxide solution or paste. You can use 3 percent H202 and soak it in it or use a higher percentage like 35% and make a paste with magnesium carbonate.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Yep, you have only done the first step. Rotted off the flesh. Now you need to degrease it, whiten it ... and possibly degrease and whiten again. :)

6. AndyB

AndyB New Member

I only asked him to look up a degreaser in the archives because there are about 2464786754 ways of degreaseing LOL and some people have better results with one type over another. I apologize i did not answer your question fully.