1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Sealing a european mount?? (my first post)

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by 8up, Dec 1, 2006.

1. 8up

8up New Member

I have 3 whitetail skulls bleached out. I have read several ways to seal the skull. I read somewhere to use Flat Spray Acrylic finish? I have also read to use Deft matte wood finish ? I think I read something on here about mixing elmers glue and water?

All I could find at lowe's was Miniwax Polycrylic in gloss or satin. I grabbed a can of the satin but am not sure how it might work. Has anyone uesd this? Anyone have any guesses on how this might work and look?

What about the elmers glue method, can someone explain it to me?

Thank you for any help

2. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    2 coats of mop-n-glow will do the trick.

3. mrdux

mrdux Member

I use Krylon matte finish spray from WalMart. I have also used matte acrylic spray I got in the craft section of WalMart. I have no experience with the others. I know my customers prefer the matte finish to a gloss finish. The gloss makes all your skull work look like plastic.

4. RF

RF Member

I agree with Mr Dux. Check out your local WalMart. Haven't tried the Mop and Glo, seems like it would be on the shiny side.

5. 8up

8up New Member

Thanks for the replies. I will be headed for Walmart.

6. Krylon or deft. depends what your customer likes the best

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

My customers prefer the glossy look. I use the Krylon Triple Thick Clear Gloss.

8. kbauman

kbauman Active Member

OK
    The mop-n-glow is not shiny. Got this tip straight from one of the big time osteological supply houses.

9. brett toth

brett toth Guest

I use epo grip ultra clear coat to seal 2 coats on the skull. then if i prefer a matte finish, i spray krylon matte finish non yellowing over the epo grip and it removes the glossy. but i definately encourage epo grip ultra clear coat because it makes the skull very strong for years.

AlisonW likes this.
  10. kevin scott

kevin scott New Member

Krylon matte is what I use , tried the gloss and didn't like it.

11. wantingtolearn

wantingtolearn New Member

which one glosses the best. i have people that like the gloss look.