1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Just starting

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by reddog, Dec 1, 2006.

1. reddog

reddog New Member

Just starting to trap and sell hides and need some info. Don't start jumping around about the terminology, like I said, just starting out. I've seen the older stretchers made of wood and the newer ones made from the wire and clips, which is better? Also which is better and brings the most money, skinning from the hind to nose with it inside out or splitting the belly, making it spread eagle? Need to know how to properly prepare and tan the hide too. Mostly will be doing coons and foxes, with a few coyotes in there somewhere. If someone knows a place to get a fair price in mid/east-TN, that would help too. Thanks.

2. reddog

reddog New Member

Forgot to mention cheap. I don't want to spend $17 to $30 dollars on tanning kits like on WASCO's site and get $15 for the pelt. Thanks

3. reddog

reddog New Member

With 41 views and no replies, did I post this on the wrong board, or is noone sharing the info?

4. jrosbor

jrosbor Member

Yes it's on the wrong board... You need to be on Google. I'll give you the run down.

Wire stretchers are cheaper. You'll get the same price no matter what type of stretcher you use.
    Tanneries buy dried skins... they cut and tan them how THEY want to do it. You won't get squat if you cut them up the belly
    Tanneries sell the tanned skins to garment manufactures.
    If YOU go cheap... The buyers will go cheap with you.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

If you are just starting out, trap something first, that is a skill in it's self, animals just dont walk into a trap.

6. reddog

reddog New Member

Trapping ain't a problem, been doing that to eat for years. I've just never messed with the hides to sell. Google is starting to look better, at least you get more junk to look at.

7. cold trapper

cold trapper age 15 a trapperman w/7 prime rats!

Skin-Flesh Dry m .. then haul m up to the illinois fur sale in Fairfield in Feb 07. good prices lots of free info. lots of other trappers willling to help etc. etc.
    ej
    ;D ;) ;) ;)

8. reddog

reddog New Member

Thanks Cold Trapper. You salt yours or just let them dry.

9. cold trapper

no salt. just stretch over a frame and let dry. oh, maybe a little salt around ears and/or thicker areas that were not fleshed well.
    hope this helps. some.
    thnx
    ;)

10. reddog

reddog New Member

It does, appreciate it. You have any idea how much anything will bring up in Illinois?

11. cold trapper

you do not need to tan the pelt before you sell at a fur auction. the pelts must be "raw"
    ;)

12. cold trapper

wood is probably a better stretcher for the most part. cased is the way to skin most animals. but beaver are opened. ::) :D ;) ;)

13. treetech12

treetech12 New Member

try trapperman.com forums and look in the archives lots of good info or find your closest fur shed[buyer]

14. reddog

reddog New Member

Would be nice to find a buyer here, noone knows. Tried all the taxidermists, check-in stations, and slaughter houses.

15. Felpy

Felpy New Member

If your not going to make something out of your tanned skins (in hopes of making more money) your most profitable route would be to sell on the fur auctions. The drawback is that you have to wait for your skins to sell before you get paid but you will receive top dollar. I would recommend North American Fur Auctions. They have a web site and can tell you how your skins should be cared for.

16. coon hunter

coon hunter Truman Waddell 270-589-7828 Brownsville Ky

Call the dept of fish and wild life they should have a list of local fur buyers in your area