1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

going rate on squirrel mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by ikillsdeer, Dec 2, 2006.

1. ikillsdeer

ikillsdeer New Member

im wondering what the going rate is on a squirrel mount and what questions i should ask the taxidermist about his methods to ensure i get a high quality mount?

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I apologize for chocking back a laugh on this one, but squirrels aren't usually animals that get a lot of apecial attention. Personally, I charge $175 and that's only because I seldom get them from anyone other than young hunters. Marcus Zimmerman told people in the Super Seminar at the last World Show he gets $375. When he was asked, Jason Snowberger sounded like an echo when he gave the same price. The REASON is that squirrels, though tough skinned on the body, are a real pain in the ass around the eyes, nose, lips and teeth. Their toes have to be removed down to the nail and that's always a joy without tearing on out.

If you want to check your taxidermist out, ask him if he has one to show you or at least pictures of one he's done. Make sure the TAIL is very bushy. That's the first thing I notice. Then check the eyes and teeth to insure they look realistic.

3. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

I charge $275. Look at some of his/her work.

4. Dean

Dean New Member

I've been at $350 for the past 3 years and might have to start charging more. Like George said. To do it right you need to skin the feet down to the last joint on every toe. turn the ears and split the lips and eyes just like any othe rmammel. I see a plenty of squirrel mounts done where they cut the foot off at the wrist- ankle joint and mount it and let the foot and toes dry up. How many reading this will admit to taking that short cut and mount small mammels that way. Amd not split the nose or turn the lips or ears. Small mammels need to be back brushed and fluffed to look good. I use an air hose and a brush to back blow the hair and back brush to keep it fluffed while it dries. Mammels are fluffy unless they just crawled out of the water.

5. mac

mac New Member

weasel,

i thought that the other day on nina's site that you said you had just completed your first squirrel mount????

6. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

I charge $175.00 also, And the guy's are right they are a pain in the ass. I did one not to long ago for my son's first. It was a quick reminder in how much of a pain they are.

7. Matt

Matt Active Member

I charge 225.00 and I have a few on my website including a good white squirrel that turned out pretty nice. I find them to be quite a challenge and don't look forward to doing them, but do the best I can. I tan my squirrels instead of using dp on them. Next year, they will be atleast 250.00, maybe more.

8. Dean

Dean New Member

They are a pain to do. That's why I get $350 for them. I took 2 in this year so I guess I have to raise my prices some more.

9. I charge $125.00 and i get 3-4 a season usually. Dang Dean where are you from, because around here we dont even get that for deer.

10. Dean

Dean New Member

Minnesota

11. They sell on ebay often for $80-$150.

(sorry if you misunderstood mac/eastarttaxidermy ).

I meant that squirrel mounts get $80-$150 useually at ebay I reworded it to sound more like my intension

12. So whats your point mac?

13. Whoa it got deleted----- it was just a misunderstanding where he thought I was already selling squirrels and on Ninas site I had posted info on my first one.But the point I was trying to get accross is there are squirrels going for 80-150 on ebay all the time sometimes less if people don't put reserves on them but I see a suirrel shoulder mount that wasn't even of very good quility--it was decent but far from perfect and it sold for $60 something.

14. Anyhow I've seen the price fluctuation of actual people chargeing from dean-and fleshner taxi---------how much are people around oklahoma chargeing on avg. kenneth bauman I noticed at Heads -n- Hides Taxidermy, Jim Reynolds, in OK only charge $85 plus whatever for the base.

15. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

George is right, They are a pain in the rear if you do them right. I just helped my daughter do her 1st one and I had forgot how big a pain they were.
    On the other hand I picked a White one up Saturday that I sent out and had freeze dried for a customer and it looks good! There is no way I could mount one and have as much detail as it has! I charged a $150 for it and will most likely go up to $175 on the next one.

16. EJ how much for freeze drying I'm REALLY INTERESTEAD. and whos the person you sent it to?

17. I charge $300 and haven't had to do one yet!!!!! That's good business(or I really hate doing those little tree rats and price myself out of the market). I also charge $2,000.00 for a skunk and haven't had to do one of those yet either.

18. Did you guys ever think about sending them to a wholesaler? I believe there are a few good taxidermist, that frequent this site, who actually like doing the little rats. Easy way to make about $100 and you're not turning anyone away.

19. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

That's the way to do it Andy! I hate fish, so I send them out. It's not that I don't like mounting them or painting them, the da-- things just smell like fish. It takes 3 days to get that smell off my hands and a week to get the smell out of my shop. No thanks I send them to Cecil. Wholesale, you get the best of both worlds and I tell anyone who asks that I send them out for better quality.

20. Jon S

Jon S Well-Known Member

$250, and most people run the other way when they hear that price. Even though they are small, the procedure is the same as any lifesize mammal - a lot of work.