1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Beautfully animal with no damage, shot in the head, for sale

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by RLDILWORTH, Dec 2, 2006.

1. RLDILWORTH

RLDILWORTH LIFE MEMBER NRA AND NTA

beautyfull? (I caught a nice badger this morning. Would make a great mount. The guard hairs are filled out nicely. Shot in the forhead w/ a .22. No damage.This is a big dude)

How long will we continue to put up with trappers selling animals that have been shot in the head?

Am I wrong to be upset?

This is an open forum, so let me vent.

I just hate to see animals listed and advertised to the Taxidermist community that have been shot in the head.

If you agree or disargee please voice you concern.

Thanks

2. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

What planet are you coming from? Do you refuse to mount animals that havent been painlessly euthanized. Quite a double standard.

3. RLDILWORTH

RLDILWORTH LIFE MEMBER NRA AND NTA

If you want to painlessly euthanize a animal you can use several methods that work without damaging the head. Or do you just like to shoot things?

4. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

any shot to the head of any animal has the potential to make that animal useless for taxidermy in the blink of an eye..

There are other kill zones on an animal that would cause much less visiable damamge and be just as effective.

I think this may have been where RL was going with this.

Jon

5. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

If in fact thats the point he was trying to make then I would have to agree.

6. I just got a bobcat in today. Shot in the top of the head and exit out of the chin. I told the guy, "I usually don't charge for bullet holes but this one is an exception!" I know what you mean, for sure! I tell my clients, if you shoot them with a .22 in a trap, do so behind the shoulder like a deer. I have done this before, they flinch a little and then fade away in about 3 seconds.
    I think there is no since in worrying about PETA, there will always be a PETA, and there will always be hunters. If PETA can't come up with facts they make up stuff! Remember the picture they had of the eagle in a trap that was caught by a toe nail?
    Sorry to get off on slamming PETA.....LOL
    I do know where you are coming from on the head shot animals though. When I first started coming to this site a few years ago. I would e-mail the people selling head shot animals and told them nicely all about it. With time, I got tired of doing it.
    I guess someone will buy them, but not me! :-\

7. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I totally agree with RL here.. How can you expect a "No damage" critter to be worthy of taxidermy if it has a hole right between the eyes.. THe face is the most looked at area of the whole mount.. Last thing you want is a hole in that short haired area. A bullet to the rib cage is just as effective and Id rather sew up a hole there where the fur is longer..
    I havent been doing taxidermy long, have 4 mounts done and working on 7 more.. but still I shy away from those head shot specimins. I mean you warn hunters not to shoot the deer in the neck, dont slit the throat, dont slit the brisket too high.. HOw is it any different than saying dont shoot it in the head? Its not like its the ONLY option avail to a trapper.. Heck behind the ear is better than smack dab between the eyes.. Give me something I can hide... is that too much to ask?
    Anotehr one that gets me is the "Slight damage easy to fix".. if the leg is hanging on by a snip of skin that is not SLIGHT DAMAGE. that is a good time sewing and lining up the hair pattern.. I consider slight as a cut in the hide or something small like that... not hanging by a tiny thread of skin and hair to where your hoping it doesnt fall off any second..(Yep I got one like that.... Bones protruding thru the skin, barely hanging on....) Looked like it had dang near been cut totally off by the trap...
    Far as IM concerned IM a taxidermist not a magician.. (Well learning to be a taxi anyhow)
    Rae

8. shinbone

shinbone New Member

i dont think its a big deal . i done one like it 3 years ago and it was an easy fix . the guy wasnt trying to pull one over on anyone . he said exactally how he killed it...exactally where it was shot....and even showed a photo that included the " damage" . there was one for sale right below it that had lip damage and a 2 inch hole to sew that went for the same price. if it was me....id take the one that was shot in the head. the only thing wrong about all of this is someone running down an honest mans good name . if you want one with " no damage " ask him if he can get you one . if you dont want it ....dont buy it .

9. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

my answer to the last post is if its shot in the head dont list it as NO DAMAGE... or "easy fix" ... NO DAMAGE Means NO damage.. NOT no damage to the body except the real noticable hole between its eyes..

10. Glad i can provide ya'all w/ something to chat about.. ::)

11. trappersteph

trappersteph now you can have it...

I have some coons for sale- shot in the head LOL

12. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

RL, Im with you on this one. Ive trapped long enough to know that banging them over the head makes a mess that looks like Welches grape jelly under the skin, and they bleed at the set. I also know that a .22 hole in the noggin, while repairable, is going to cause me greif, as I like to track all the hair patterns on mammals head, and that hole doesnt help. In traps its easy to zip them through the lungs/heart, they bleed slightly, coons have so much fat they dont bleed there much, and they all die very quickly. In fact I started hitting reds there and grabbing them by the atlas/neck joint and carry them away from the set in case they bled at all.

Yep, I can repair a head shot animal if I need it bad enough, but I dont pop them in the head when theres a better way, and when Im picking and choosing, I choose body shot specimens when buying. Hey, look at it THIS way...if us supposedly dumb taxidermists are expected to pay double the market value for trapper caught specimens the trapper did half the normal work on, that specimen shopuld be primo!

13. I agree with bill, i prefer not to have to sew holes in the face and a good trapper knows that you don't shoot them if you want am premium price, my buddies always say a good taxidermist can fix anything, i always tell them yes but it will cost them twice as much!