1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a tube skinned small animal

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by George, Jun 8, 2008.

1. Thanks George for one of the most outstanding tutorials I have seen on any subject.

2. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

great tutorial George. your knowledge has graced this site for as long as i have been here. i have learned many tips from you. i also do most of my small critters with a tube cut and i love it. this tutorial is great for the beginner, and veteran alike. we learn something new from such little things. i too would like to see your method of attaching the teeth and your mouth work.
    again thanks for being such a huge help to everyone out here on the net.
    bob

3. Hey, how did you get the squirrel to hang on the log? I don't see any wires through the paws, or holes in the wood. Thanks for the great tutorial.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Vryn, read that paragraph right above the picture of the rolled Critter Clay on Saran Wrap. It tells you what I do.

5. "I place the squirrel on the log and I use a couple large pins to hold the body stable during the next steps."

Sorry, didn't realize that those pins stay in forever. :)

6. George

That's what I do for commercial work. I've taken those 4/5 inch drywall screws and attached some small game, like rabbits, muskrats, and prairie dogs through the wood as well.

7. hoytman

hoytman UTA Member

Good info george, I used this method on a skunk. Only sewing was about 1" behind each front leg and from rear heal to heal.

8. Great tutorial George. you said you used alchohol instead of DP. Ive been using DP and a fox that was skun and then frozen. after taking it out and defrosted then DP. i tried it on the maniken and found it needed altering. The skin was slipped on and off a few times before i got it right. I grabbed the skin for the final fit and noticed a big chunk of hair slipped. I would have thought that the DP would have prevented the slipping. My question is this. Could i soak a fox in the alchohol to set the hair then DP and mount as normal. thanks george.

9. ps...is metholated spirits denatured alchohol

10. George

Methylated spirits is one type of denatured alcohol (many chemicals can be used to "denature" ethanol, but methylated spirits is ethanol diluted with 10% methanol).

After the fact use of denatured alcohol is like shutting the barn door after the horse is out. The heat of your actions spoiled the epidermal layer and I'm not familiar with anything that will work on it now. Sorry.

11. Thanks a bunch for this tutorial George. I missed it the first time you posted it. Will be a great help when I finally get around to mounting that ermine I've got. :)

12. thanks george, but i wasnt trying to save the skin as i had another. What i was wondering is could i give a fox or cat a soak in alchohol to set the hair then dry preserve...cheers :)

13. George

If you "give it a soak" it WILL set the hair but you won't need DP. The denatured alcohol is a "pickle" treatment and your hide will shrink a bit and need to be restretched.

14. jmgriggs

jmgriggs Distinguished Wildlife Creations, LLC

Thanks for the info George.

15. okie dokie mate.

16. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Good job. I too like to use tube skinned mammals whenever I can.

However I prefer to cut the form in Half at the waist rather than cut off the front legs. Sometimes you have cut the head off as well and insert it through the mouth.

17. bobbyspang

bobbyspang New Member

Good job! Thanks for the info, great for beginners like me ;D

18. rizzo856

rizzo856 New Member

Thanks for the instructions.I am just starting this hobby. I did my first critter like that but did not cut the arms off and just cut wedges out and I hate to say and i wish it came out better but the kid I did it for loved it. Thanks again i will keep your info in mind the next time I do a small mammal.

19. hey george ol mate, when you say you chopped off the top jaw and bottom, did you leave then attached to the skin or like you would a pig jaw...silly question i know, but im only learning... ;D

20. George

Yes I did. I then skinned the jawbone and teeth out to the lip so that I could get the DP (or denatured alcohol in this case) out to the skin as well as clean any meat out of there. I hollowed pockets out in the foam face and fillle them with clay. When I put the skin on, I pushed the pieces of jaw down into the clay. This squished the clay out and allowed me to form it under the skin and give it a natural puffiness of the lips and nose of the squirrel as you see in the final picture. It also allows you to set BOTH sets of teeth properly.