1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a tube skinned small animal

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by George, Jun 8, 2008.

1. jm94sniper

jm94sniper New Member

WOW!! this is what i have been looking for...thanks for posting...

2. nice job george

3. how long did you let the squirrel soak in the denatured alcohol

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

15 to 20 minutes.

5. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

OK George, I'm confused.
    you JUST used denatured alcohol on the tree rat?
    Isn't that just pickling it and not actually tanning or preserving it?

6. George

ABSOLUTELY, Bobbi. You know, just like Krowtann. LMAO That's all that denatured alcohol does. It locks down the hair and pickles the skin. I don't usually use that method as I prefer DP, but like Ron's "new earliners", sometimes the old methods work just as well.

7. Bobbi Meyer

so basically you are mounting a pickled skin?
    wouldn't it shrink or rot?
    I know, dumb questions.

8. George

Nope, it's PICKLED. It will likely last just as long as a DP'd or a tanned one would. I don't know why that question would come up when I've asked the same things about that other product I've mentioned. "Pickle Tans" DON'T have a good history, but since it's just a tree rat that the tail will likely suffer irreparabe damage in just a few years with or without tanning, I don't see any problem with it. Years ago, that was the standard method of treating small game.

9. Bobbi Meyer

I just had to ask since I remember you and Terry going round and round about denatured alcohol, and how it wasn't a tan..etc..etc..

I thought "Wow, has George turned over a new leaf." or what!!!

10. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

denatured alcolol doesnt come near what Krowtan does and if you believe it does then youve lost your mind or maybe the brain is a bit pickled.................or just plain old age lol.........

11. George

Well, Tom, I suppose we're all entitled to our opinions. I don't use denatured alcolhol and only did it for the reasons I explained. This was a TUTORIAL IN MOUNTING A TUBED SKINNED MAMMAL, not on tanning or those products pretending to be tans. We have that in another post on here. And "NO", I'm not sending either of you T-shirts.

12. Bobbi Meyer

oh George...I was gonna ask for an x-large cause I like them loose, but I guess Santa ain't comin this year.
    OK, I understand the DA was just for this tutorial...gotcha

13. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

George you know me..............when ever I see a remark on Krowtan,Im goin to respond ..........no matter what post it is on...................Send me a T-shirt.................ill wear it.....................

14. George

LMAO Tom, and you know I'm the same way with JRTS. And I'm not sending you the T-shirt. IN MY OPINION, it doesn't apply. LOL

15. nice job.......if we had squirrels in australia i would deffanatly give this one a go

16. kazo

kazo New Member

Thanks for the tutorial George,you just made my day great.Didint a fox could be don the same way.Thanks again. :D

17. NellieSusan

NellieSusan New Member

BRILLIANT.

Thank you.

Top tutor, George.

Thank you.

18. coonhunt

coonhunt New Member

great post

19. Stevenony

Stevenony New Member

Thanks for this tutorial. I just shot my first taxidermy project this afternoon. I have been wanting to work on a ground squirrel and was able to get one that was in my chicken pen this afternoon. Since this is my first (read practice) squirrel I will be trying the DA and see what happens. I wont be able to purchase a form so I will be trying to do it the way Ive seen in the old books. Thanks for your help.

20. duckstuffer_99

duckstuffer_99 Member

Very informative Mr. George!!! I've been doing birds for years and want to try squirrells just for fun!! This will help immensely