1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a tube skinned small animal

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by George, Jun 8, 2008.

1. renjam33

renjam33 First turkey

Thanks for taking the time George ;D

2. This is great, love the idea with leaving the jaws attached!! Thanks

3. George can you give us more details on denatured alcohol part, I mean how long do you soak etc?

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

It's in there someplace already, but 15-20minutes is more than sufficient.

5. renjam33

renjam33 First turkey

just wondering if you have to split the tail to skin it out?....I'm thinking the thing will not invert without splitting.

6. George

Nope, no splitting the tail. That's the beauty of denatured alcohol. Simply fill a syringe with it and inject the tail void. Let it set with the hide in the denatured alcohol for 15-20 minutes, squeeze dry, tumble and mount.

7. renjam33

renjam33 First turkey

thank you George.....got my first tree rat under my belt today using your techniques. Went pretty smooth.
    Jamie

8. CatFisher89

CatFisher89 New Member

What size blade would you suggest for splitting the ears?

9. This tutorial is great. I was just wondering a few things. Are you fleshing the skin? I tried doing that with my last one, and really, it is pretty laborous. But the pics here do not look like you did.

Also, wondering how to skin out the tail without splitting. Just invert it like the legs? This would be awesome if I can teach myself to do this, since splitting squirrel tails would be pretty unnecessary and work-adding.

10. George

1) I use a Havel's #10 on EVERYTHING. TO ME the larger #22 gets dull too quick and I only use the tip of the blade anyway.

2) Yes, the squirrel is fleshed. It is NOT shaved as it makes no sense to do that. If a squirrel is skinned properly, there's little fleshing to be done. Some "shaker" muscle on the back and fatty tissue under the leg pits. The face and earbutts get their own attention. When I'm done, I use a STIFF bird fleshing wheel to clean up any traces and to flesh the lips and nose areas.

3) NEVER - EVER split a squirrel's tail. Skin it down to the base of the tail. I use my thumbnail against my index finger to "pinch" the tail while pulling the squirrel away. The tail skin will begin to accordian up behind your fingers and will zip right off. USE THE TAIL BONE to create a tail manikin as if you make it too long, the tail will look frizzy instead of full and fluffy. There's little to no flesh to worry about inside the tail skin. I take a syringe and fill it with denatured alcohol to squirt the fluid down into the tail. I don't punch any holes or wick the fluid through. The alcohol will evaporate and be absorbed into the skin.

Squirrel tail hair is whorled. If you split the tail, you can never get these patterns back. Look closely at a live squirrel and see how the hairs set individually.

11. Thanks; this will help me immensely. I have done a few wrong (split) and really disliked my results. I am going to try one today without splitting, tube skinned.

12. jimhow

jimhow Member

George, what about DP'd squirrels? Do you still inject DA down the tail? (Great tip BTW!)

George admittedly has big 'paws', if you can't do what he said for the tail, get a tail stripper or 2 dowels one one top, one under the tail bone, sqeeze together and pull like George mentioned.

13. George

I use Bess Maid DP and it's very fine. When I'm mounting them, I simply pour it down the tail tube. I use a 12 gauge wire and tamp it a bit to insure it's down in there, then I turn it over, holding it by the tail tip, and jiggle the wire until the excess falls out. Then mount.

14. Would it be a bad idea to use the rinehart paint-on cream? I had good results with it when I did a squirrel rug before, but the tail was split, and flat upon drying, since it was rugged.

15. George

Using JRTS is fine as long as you salt first. And I don't have to tell you that afterwards it needs to be washed thoroughly and tumbled before mounting.

16. jimhow

jimhow Member

Thanks George.

17. Hi just wondering, where exactly do you cut off the jaws? I have been doing it on rats but on a squirrel, as the skull is larger, where would you recommend?

18. George

Right behind the teeth. Use a Dremel tool with a cutoff disk so that you don't shatter the teeth.

19. Alright thanks very much!

20. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

Wow! It sure pays off to do some queries in this forum. This is a fantastic tutorial that George put together. It's bookmarked on my computer now. George, my hat's off to you with contributions like this. Absolutely superbly done (particularly for us rookies). Thank you! Gerry