1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting a tube skinned small animal

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by George, Jun 8, 2008.

1. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

George,
    When repositioning legs (like the hind legs on this squirrel), I see where you stated, (The undercut will leave a small gap that will be filled with foam.) What foam filler do you use?

Thanks,
    Gerry

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I buy mine from McKenzie.

3. I want to add my thanks for a very informative and well done tutorial, it is very much appreciated.

To add to Gerry's question...for small gaps such as these, you can use gorilla glue. If you mist the surface with water before you apply it and mist it after you spread a little on each surface it has plenty of expansion to fill small gaps such as these. Quick and easy. It's activated by moisture so the more moisture you put on it the more it is going to expand and the quicker it will set up.

4. DickGJ

DickGJ Speak softly and carry a Big Stick!

THanks George. I guess I'll have better luck finding it in the McKenzie catalog I have at home. I couldn't find it on-line unless I'm looking for it under the wrong name "foam filler" or something generic like that. I'll try the Gorilla glue tip too!

5. Lizardfeathers

Lizardfeathers Thank you for teaching me through your works...

I literally just skinned my first tree rat a couple hours ago. I will defiantly will use your great advice on mounting it. I will have to wrap a body because my idea for a position is to crazy and unusual for trying to modify an existing form. It was a roadkill squirrel and there is a 1" x 2" bald spot on it's right hip. Basically it will be attached to a tree wall panel by it's hip (w/ the spot) and look like it's jumping to catch something or traveling from tree to tree. Again, thank you George for the great tutorial.

6. Sent from my XT907 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

7. judyhoffman

judyhoffman New Member

Thanks George, This will help me so much since I just had a customer that wants a squirrel done. Grandkids 1st kill and I haven't done one before. Judy

8. Monette Taxidermy

Monette Taxidermy New Member

Marking.....Thanks George!

9. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

You will have to decide which was is best for YOU. I'm a crappy seamstress and I try to think outside the box. I decide if cutting the firm will look better than cutting the hide or how to avoid having a visible seam. Only you can device what will work best for you. AS FOR ME, my very last option is a dorsal cut.

10. BrookeSFD16

BrookeSFD16 Well-Known Member

I mounted this bobcat with a "case skinned" incision. I attribute my success to Georges tutorial. You may have to cut the form and assemble it in pieces, but you will have no visible stitch lines. My assembly skills are better that my sewing skills, so for me the time it takes to cut and reassemble the form, is better time spent than trying to hide stitches.

All I had to cut on the form was the reaching arm. Inserted it first, then slid the rest of the form in. I will attempt to mount all lifesize small mammals this way in the future. Thanks again George!

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

11. Great tutorial.

12. As allways great work george thanks from everyone, YOUR THE MAN :) THE KING OF TAXIDERMY..

13. crs

crs Member

N Tx
    :)

14. Kate Lacour

Kate Lacour New Member

What I wouldn’t give to be able to view the photos that go with this fantastic tutorial.

Robert Baker likes this.
  15. Robert Baker

Robert Baker Active Member

When I started reading this Kate I was thinking the same thing. =(

Maybe George still has them?

Robert

Kate Lacour likes this.