1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Which Bird Flesher?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by cself, Jun 9, 2008.

1. cself

cself New Member

I've mounted waterfowl as a hobby for 30+ years and I'm about to purchase a bird flesher. I'll only be fleshing ducks and an occasional goose or turkey. For you experienced hands with the wire wheel, would you recommend the VanDykes flesher, WASCO's "Soft Touch Duck Degreaser", or Matuska's "New Angle Bird Flesher"? I really appreciate your input and I've learned a lot from all the posts in this forum. Thanks to everyone. Chuck

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

i have the Van Dyke's heavy duty, and i have absolutely no complaints. it's height is adjustable with makes it easier to work on different sized birds.

3. Like Redwolf, I have the heavy duty as well. I really like it. Just be careful and pay attention. I can't speak for any of the other fleshers other than what I've been told....Roger

4. J.H.

J.H. New Member

I have the new angle flesher. had to change the wheel out . even after breaking it in i think your could cut thru steel with that thing. I built a box for it to so as to keep the flying snotballs to a minimum. good to go now!

5. trophy mount TN

trophy mount TN Trophy Mount Taxidermy

van dykes here fr me also. no complaints what so ever. have had it for 2 yrs now.

6. I've been using the New Angle for a few years. While nice, it overheats and shuts itself off after about 30 minutes. Plus it isn't that strong of a motor and will stall easily with a little too much pressure. Because of that I build one myself. Put a 1/2 HP motor on it and build a 36"x 18"x 15" box for it. Put a 6 inch wheel on it and I can (in theory) flesh deer with the thing!! Just gotta watch the amount of pressure you apply with it. But that's the case with any of them.

7. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    Van Dykes heavy duty here as well...ducks, geese and turkeys. I lucked out and was able to go to the world show last year (only live 3 hours away). Van Dykes had the heavy duty bird flesher at their booth and was able to bring one home so didn't have to pay shipping!!. If you get a chance to go to a show you might call and see if one of the vendors could have one at the show for you to pick up so you can save on shipping.

8. I have the Van Dykes Flesher and it works great for me. I also bought it at a show.

9. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

Van Dykes here also, I have had mine for 4 years and never had a problem one with it!!

10. SteveP

SteveP New Member

I have the heavy duty New Angle and the heavy duty VanDyke's.

Anybody want to buy a New Angle bird flesher? ;) Actually, I'm saving it for my son to flesh squirrels. :p
    I tried changing out the motor for a little more power, but it still overheats.

Now that I have a clear plastic tub with the bottom cut for the brush and top guard to come through, I really like the VanDyke's flesher. It will run for hours straight without a problem.

11. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    hum...going to have to try that tub idea..the old refrig box is starting to give out ;)