1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Unusual Colored Coyote

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by AMCTaxi, Dec 3, 2006.

1. AMCTaxi

AMCTaxi Wholesale Small Mammal Taxidermist

Had a customer bring this beast over this morning. He called lastnight and said he wanted a coyote done, and expecting a run of the mill stinkin' tan coyote I was floored when this came to my shop door:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At first look, I thought the guy had shot a dog, but the closer I examined it, the physique (and smell) all screamed coyote. This is perhaps, the most beautiful coyote I've ever seen. I've seen blonde, red, solid black, and regular coyotes, but I've NEVER seen a coyote with colors like this. I wanted to know if any of you have encountered coyotes like this or not? Is it possible that it has domestic dog in the genes to give it this strange color? I'm just astounded how amazing this coyote looks! The hunter that shot it, got it in Westmoreland County, PA.

2. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

If you're needing reference photos, go to Google and enter siberian husky, then click on images.

3. Gina

Gina New Member

Looks like a siberian husky mix. Ears and nose look yote... :p Sometimes a stray dog will knock up a coyote dam, and that what you get, a coydog. It is pretty, but it will still look like a dog, even when mounted. Look up Siberian Husky in google, you will see what they look like.

4. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

IM leaning towards alaskan Malamute..Used to have a wolfdog that was part malamute and that dog there would pass easily for a malamute. I swear if some guy showed up with that Id send it back home with him.. Looks like he shot someones pet. evenit was a stray I wouldnt want to mount it..
    Check out the pics of the malamutes, and heres a link to pics of the husky as well...
    Face marking seem more malamute though both breeds can have that body color.
    Whoever shot that dog shouldnt ever go to the Ididarod... Youll find almost all the dogs harnessed up to sleds with such markings...

http://www.akc.org/breeds/alaskan_malamute/photos.cfm

http://www.akc.org/breeds/siberian_husky/photos.cfm

5. Jims Wildlife Studio

Jims Wildlife Studio Full Time PA Taxidermist

Definitely looks like a Siberian husky mix for sure. I am not sure about the markings above the eye's they kind of look like a Shepard.

6. Tanana

Tanana Guest

Looks just like one of the 5000 sled dogs we have in the Fairbanks area, 100% dog. I have seen many that very color in-fact quite common. He looks to be of racing stock, not as stocky as a freight dog. Look at some of the Iditarod race pictures on-line, very much like what you have in the photo.
    Mark.

7. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Either a husky or a malamute cross. Could be part coyote, maybe. I'd be more inclined to say that fluffy isn't coming home for dinner. Racing huskies are long and lean and unfortunately all huskies like to roam and often wander far away from home.

8. I agree that Fluffy ain't comming home! Dogs that have gone wild have a coyote smell. My bet is someone dumped the dog and it is simply a wild dog.

Don't tell your customer any different, it would just start rumors about you. Yep, you have to remember the customer is right.

Can be almost any of the sleddog breeds, Elk hound etc.

Do you have heart worm in your area? If so when you sever the lower leg, art worms. The dog may have been treated for heart worms and you find none present. Placing the idea that someone may have dumped the dog and the meds still be effective.

Anywho we can speculate all day. Mount fluffy up and get your money, you did get a deposit of fluffy, right?

9. BERTHA BUTT

BERTHA BUTT Karma Lives!!!!

$5000 REWARD FOR THE LIVE RETURN OF MUFFY. $5000 REWARD FOR THE LIVE RETURN OF MUFFY. $5000 REWARD FOR THE LIVE RETURN OF MUFFY. $5000 REWARD FOR THE LIVE RETURN OF MUFFY.$5000 REWARD FOR THE LIVE RETURN OF MUFFY.
    LAST SEEN IN WESTMORLAND COUNTY PA.
    BEST LEAD DOG I EVER HAD.
    <--------------------MUFFY----------------------------------------looks like this!

10. lmao Bertha

11. Gunny

Gunny Old Timer

That is funny Bertha.

12. Mason

Mason Active Member

Good one Bertha!

13. Gunny

Gunny Old Timer

This has to be the funniest post ever. Bertha Butt way to funny. Every time I scroll through those pictures, I just about fall out of my chair. I needed that on a Monday.

14. All I can say is WOW, I hope you got a good deposit, he might change his mind. Oh by the way, has the dog catcher thanked him yet. rw

15. Mason

Mason Active Member

The post from Bertha is funny as heck , I even commented on it earlier. But in all seriousness is there a way too have this"dogyote" checked by the local DNR, game commission, or something?
    Just curious, would be a shame to mount him up if it is a dog and belongs too a local. Could make for some awful publicity.

16. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

Siberians are 35-60 pounds...purebred, Malamutes are 75-80, so I'd say if it's a husky mix, it's a Siberian. However, it could be a sheppard mix because of the huge ears, huskys tend to have broader muzzles....<sigh> I think the only way to know for sure is if the guy wants to know, have a DNA test done!

Some Siberian pics...
    http://www.everythingwolf.com/gallery/gallerylist.aspx?CategoryID=5

17. Dean

Dean New Member

It's a cross breed of some kind. You don't know what you'll get crossing stuff so no sense guessing the breed. It's just one less mutt that chases deer.

18. Dan

Dan One Year Old Already!

Are you sure that didn't come out of Fayette County? I've seen some tied to the RR tracks down there that look like that.

19. Reba

Reba New Member

Hey Guys, that s a yote! Look at the slanted pupils, yellow eyes, tail, body and head shape....they do look a lot like dogs, even the brown phase, but the eyes tell it!!

20. ELMER GANTRY

ELMER GANTRY **THE DISTANCE OF GOOSE**

Reba, you need to stick to singing!

As my old grandpap Kuskoswim Gantry said, Elmer if it looks like a Husky, walks like a Husky, barks like a Husky.........it's a Husky........Hike!!!!!! Geeee Hawww