1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Spoonbill advice

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Ozwalt, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Any opinions out there on who produces the best looking spoonbill (paddlefish) replica blanks? No scales on 'em, so I'm mostly wondering about inner mouth detail, anatomical correctness, decent fins.

2. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

The lack of responses isn't giving me a lot of hope. Looking for a good quality 32-35" spoonbill blank with good inner mouth detail. I'm hoping that someone out there can give me an actual recommendation for a specific blank based on eye-witness evidence.

Thanks!

3. Ive been looking around and asking those who have Private molds and it doesnt seem good.
    Nobody has any under 50" that I have found

4. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

I'm the guy that emailed you last week about this, and I have to agree that this is a market niche that still hasn't been fully explored!

5. Yea. I wonder
    Here in Wisconsin I cant even have them in my shop to mold.
    They are only found in a few places and are only captured by snagging, mostly during the spawn.
    So I think the smaller ones avoid that

A recreation may be the only way to go.

6. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

I likely will be molding one in the next few weeks. I have permission to take one out of Oklahoma and if interested I can keep you posted. I requested the fish to be in the 20# -- 30 # range if that works for you.

7. Cool Gary!
    I have had several people who want me to mold one but The DNR is giving me the runaround.
    I debated going out to South Dakota and molding it there.
    No regs on a chunk of plastic.

Do you know if you will be taking pics of the fish when you are getting ready to mold it?? I would love some ref shots. I am planning on doing a recreation for myelf and pics are hard to find.

8. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Hey Gary,
    I'm definitely interested in whatever information you're willing to share during your process. Have a feeling that 20lb paddlefish will be about a foot too long for my purposes, though (20lb spoonies will go 50"). At least this time around. Just ordered Breakthrough 83-85 to get your articles on molding and casting specifically cuz of this fish -- small world, eh?

9. GBRUCH

I will let you know what I come up with. If you have any questions on molding your fish Ozwalt don't hesitate to call. Josh--I will take some pics for you but they are dead reference. I will tell the fella gettin the fish that I need some live reference for us. ;D

10. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Thanks Gary. Joshua, I'm emailing you some reference pics from my customer -- good clear details.

11. Thanks guys
    I got the pics. Very nice, they will help me out a ton.

12. den007

den007 Active Member

I have one.......32 inches........molded by Ron Kelly before his shop burned. Translucent, flex resin, excellent detail. I offered to return it to Bev, but she did not seem to want it. I am thinking somebody might want do a mold of the one I have. Happy to send or post a pic if you like. Great inner mouth detail.....gill rakers.....the works.

13. Not a good Idea to remold it without permission.

14. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

Hey Dennis,

Are you offering to sell it outright? How much do you want for it?

15. den007

den007 Active Member

Calling Ron Kelly! I know you are out there! Can we remold this and save it for posterity?????

If I don't hear from ya, yes, it is up for sale outright.

$180 sound like a fair price for a rare commodity?????

PM me........

It really is a great replica. I almost slit my wrists when Ron stopped offering his replicas due to a fire.

He had some great stuff.

16. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

PM on it's way.

17. GBRUCH

I will post some pics of this process---the fish measures 56''from tip of tail to the tip of the rostrum.

If you could ozwalt-forward me what reference you have. You can never have too much reference-lol.

18. Ozwalt

Ozwalt New Member

You got it.

BTW, I read your molding/casting articles in breakthrough -- great stuff. Quick question. How reusable are your bondo molds? Can I assume you use your first cast reproduction to make an RTV mold for long-term use?

19. GBRUCH

you are assuming right--the first pull goes into rtv.

Ican generally get 3-5 pulls per bondo mold sometimes a few more

I will post a few pics of the molding if I get time.

20. GBRUCH

I have a couple pics of today's job. I needed a lil help lifting this pig so I called on Ken Carnahan and Dave Bobeck and thanks to their muscles I got the 56 x 24 paddlefish molded. You will notice the Paddle has been removed and molded seperately. I hope to have a pic of the cast up by Monday(Time permitting).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks ozwalt for the pics--I added them to the collection I have.