1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by J Best, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

Re: McKenzie 6400

sorry i missed you at the show, are you coming up to Oklahoma City for the OK show, i will be there as well.

2. Re: McKenzie 6400

This is the first 64U I have done so far. I really didn't think I was going to like it but after I finished the mount I didn't think it looked to bad.

3. Todd K

Todd K New Member

I'm not saying I dont like the pose, I just cant seem to get a good form from Mckenzie. The nose is always messed up on them. One side will be 1/8 inch higher then the other side. Just poor quality. I would rather use a Meder for that head up pose. I still get them from Mckenzie though.

4. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Todd, I've gotten a couple of McKenzie forms (not the 64U, but the 9600) lately that the nose looks twisted, don't see it until it's mounted. I wonder if they are being pulled from the molds a tad too early.

5. Todd K

Todd K New Member

Not sure Becky. It looks to me like an alignment issue. I think the molds are two parts, left and right. At least the molds at Hiltons are. Anyway, Maybe they just arn't getting both sides lined up right when they bolt them together. I could use a replacement nose, but why should I spent more money to get a correct manikin. I just put one of those HD's together and it had that same problem. I loved the mount but damm, they need to correct the nose issues! I'm surprised nobody else has complained about this.

6. Becky P

The seams were fine on the ones I had but it was like the whole muzzle area was turned. I have had some that the seams were bad on, but it wasn't those particular forms.

7. Re: McKenzie 6400

we mounted several on the 64U and love it. Mounted 1 big buck on the 64D against our better judgement tried to talk the cust out of it couldn't!! Did not like the 64D at all just not natural!!

8. Wdlangford

Wdlangford New Member

Becky and Todd, wow, I guess I have not bee payng that much attention like yall. I really love the Mckenzies forms. (mainly how clean and crisp they come in) I just got a shipment in today and guess what, the first form I pull out (9800 series) In the front you can tell that my top lip is 1/8" lower on the right than on the left. I'll have to post a pic for you to get the real effect of what I'm seeing.

9. Todd K

Todd K New Member

Thank God someone else finally understands what I'm talkin about! Sorry Becky, I know you see it too. I think Matt had a problem with one too. I've had three in a row! Months apart, not in the same order.

10. Todd K

Todd K New Member

If you call and complain they will send you another at no charge. But sometimes with my schedule I dont have time to wait so I just fix them. I bet they would fix the problem if they have to start sending out replacement forms to everyone who calls and complains.

11. strutinh

strutinh Member

Todd and Becky This is not a new problem with Meckenzie !! and not just deer, quality control pretty has gone way down, I have called and complianed and it falls on deaf ears, I still like most poses and now just file and rescuplt everything, I like the 6400D for some customers with high ceilings and limited space just M.O.P

12. Becky P

Oh, I know it's not just deer. I bought a bobcat that the face was so unsymmetrical that I could see it as I took it out of the box. Even my son noticed it right off. I started to send it back but figured by the time I paid shipping, I might as well just fix it. But it's a bit aggravating to spend that kind of money only to have to fix it. Granted it's better than starting from scratch, but I could order a plain jane, super crap form from another supplier that's cheaper and do the same.

13. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Research has been way off on their cats lately also. It all comes down IMO to the quality of employees (sorry, but it's the truth) If I was charging premium price for my mounts but only paying an employee $6-$7 an hour why would they give a crap. On top of that, what kind of long term employee would work for that.....hell, even $9 per hour. Company's like McKenzie's are owned by investors who care only about the bottom line. All businesses are set up to inherit a certain amount of loss, so it is cheaper to send a free form to that every 100th or so customer complaining that it is to pay a good employee say $15-20 an hour who actually takes pride in their work.

While I love McKenzie products & do respect their growth even someone such as I who couldn't make two eyes exactly symmetrical if I tried have noticed the horrid alignment problems.

Only until there is a MASSIVE backlash will things change. What i'm speaking of is if you order 5 forms and 2-3 suck CALL THEM ON IT!! If they are getting 500 returns per week then heads will roll & the movers & shakers will change things.

I won't ever boycott McKenzie per say (i DON'T THINK ::) , NEVER SAY NEVER ), but I am to the point that I will hold them to the same standards that my customers hold me. They pay for quality and damn well expect nothing less! I'm tired of the crap & if it takes being an ass to get what I pay for so be it. I guarantee we all have that picky customer who looks over every inch of the deer so we in turn are pro active & make double sure we take care of the nit picky details. We all may have to become that customer.

I wish they in some way would respond & at least let us know if we can expect changes since they do read this forum.....but instead they keep their customers in the dark :-\

I only spend $8,000-$10,000 a year with McKenzie, but if they were to piss off 10 of me.......OH BOY :eek: :eek:

14. Becky P

I had the same problem with some coyotes eyes for a competition mount. I ordered good eyes, got them in and my 9 year old (at the time) nephew asked why one pupil was bigger than the other. Called them, told them, they sent another pair and marked on the invoice was a note to check the pupils. Well guess what. They were almost as bad. I can make one competition pair out of the two pairs, the other one "might" work for a customer mount - maybe, they are close but not exact. Ridiculous!

15. zubba

zubba New Member

That is the mind-boggling part of this whole conversation. They don't have to search far to see/hear customer complaints and requests. I feel anyone even partially in taxidermy has been to this site before...so words will travel. At least if I was head of marketing and/or development, I would have this site bookmarked. ;)

16. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

They see it, they ALL see it.....but most companys have a policy not to respond on here.

17. michaelf

michaelf New Member

Sent one back on Monday. It wasn't a Mckenzie form. Anyway I don't send many back BUT this thing had a tear duct opening you could launch a boat in ! No need to cut a slot because this was the Grand Canyon ! They called me back and said there was nothing wrong with that form that was the way the form was supposed to look ! I said ok let me mark that in my catolog and went with a different style. I think i know a little about tear duct's and didn't want to stir it up. I think Michael P is 100% correct and it's going to get worse before it get's better! Yeah, I could have fixed it but when you pay good money you should get a good form ! JMO

18. Becky P

Which form was that? I dang sure don't want a boat launching tear duct form, LOL. If you don't want to post here, PM me, please.

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Sometimes I wish there was a time machine and I could send you guys and gals back 25 years. You simply don't have a clue and you're all gasoline asses. I wish you'd try to mount a deer on the old paper forms or even those godawful fiberglass ones we had for a short spell. Now the supply companies catch hell because the nose is TWISTED. With those forms you didn't HAVE a nose to twist, you had to make it.

And Michael is correct. Most reputable companies won't respond to vigilante screams, but rather look at them internally for validity. You can't honestly think that the suppliers don't listen, however. If they truly didn't and were only concerned with the bottom line, do you REALLY think you'd have as many different selections as you have just in whitetails alone??? Carl Akeley is probably rolling over in his grave hearing the picayune crap you guys are crying about.

20. Becky P

George, I DID say it was still better than starting from scratch. LOL But when I know they can do better, then why not expect it? My customers do. ;)