1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Shampoo a tanned hide?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by humphreyjm, Jun 12, 2008.

1. humphreyjm

humphreyjm New Member

CT
    I tanned a coyote hide as a gift for a friend. Oiled and broke with Pro Plus oil. It looks very nice and is soft, but... well, smells strongly like an animal hide. Can I shampoo it to clean it up again, and will I need to re-break it? Is there a better way to handle the hide odor? Dumb question?

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

you can shampoo it. i use pert plus. if it's just a wall hanger keep an eye on it. if it starts to stiffin up it shouldn't take much to resoften it. you can also soak it in a downy fabric softener bath for a min. that may take the smell away.

3. humphreyjm

humphreyjm New Member

CT
    Thanks Red.

4. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Red how is the ph with Pert?

Wouldn't Kemel-4 be the better shampo?

5. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

i've never had a ph problem with it.

6. humphreyjm

humphreyjm New Member

CT
    Are we worried about high pH? How would a mild dish soap do?

7. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Most commercial shampoos have very low pH compared to the acid/alkali scale. I'd bet few are above 9 with most of them being 8 - 8.5. Dawn is 8.5. Drinking water is 7. The real SOAPS now are pushing 10-12 and can be used without hot water. Hot water actually "melts" the oils and allows the detergents to lift them away. That's why dishwashers have HOT water running through them. Personally, I use Downy clothes softener. It has surfactant qualities and leaves a nice smell. HOWEVER, there's one more reason to use a COMMERCIAL TANNERY. They have deodorizers made for their processes and when you get them back, guess what? They don't smell like DOGS! LOL

8. I would have never been able to figure that out if it werent for you infinite wisdom. Thanks George.

9. George

Darrell, I'm not sure you did AFTER I explained it. LMAO

10. Helicity

Helicity Squirrels – Natures Road Bumps

Well my husband always told me to use warm water with our dishwasher (its a roll around attach to your sink kind) because he says that hot water makes everything stick to the stuff and it wont come out clean. He's also the one that tell me that hot water will freeze faster and thats why you should use hot water in your ice cube trays. I still can't convince him with my university chemistry that he's wrong.

11. George

Hmmm, Helicity, I'll bet the went to the same school Darrell did.

12. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Throw scalding hot water on him & stick him in the freezer.....see if it makes him cool down faster :)

BTW....how's that cow hide going??

13. Helicity

really good thank you. I have it tacked out and have soft tan on it right now. I am waiting for it to dry and throw on another coat. I then get to bring it to a friend of mines place and throw it in his drum. I love paying for services in trade or liqour. A bottle of Bacardi for a 4 hour tumble in the dryer. I will post pictures this weekend when its done. I just need to borrow a living room floor big enough to take a picture of it.

14. michael p.

Are we still taking about the cow hide here ::) ??? ;) ;D LMAO

15. Helicity

After a 40 of bacardi I would like to see someone handle a 4 hour tumble with me.

16. michael p.

I'll be your Huckleberry! :eek:

17. Helicity

Whats Huckeberry? other then the plant or a character fromo a book?

18. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

he means he will be your ginuea pig ;D

19. Helicity

God things do go over my head.... Thanks russ

20. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Is that why my grandpappy always said to rub your hands in snow if they get frostbitten? He was always so full of lore. Personally, I'd rather shoot a fat buck and stick 'em in his hot belly 'nstead.