1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Joe Coombs eyes

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by srholmes30, Jun 16, 2008.

1. srholmes30

srholmes30 Living each and every day

Hi has anyone had good luck with Joe Coombs nictitating membrane eyes ,how do they look when done.Thanks Scott.

2. cwt

cwt Active Member

i use them on all my deer and they look real good.i dont like the cost of them though

3. Todd K

Todd K New Member

I'm open to trying them. I just figured out how to use the Eppley plastic eyes without scratching them. I guess I'm a slow learner!!!! At least I would'nt have to worry about scratching the Coombs eyes. But man, those Eppley eyes look real!

4. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    there was a topic on this awhile back and i was suprised the number of people who did not like them,dont remember the reasons, i was taught using these eyes and i really like them,
    jmho

5. Are people having a hard time keeping the Tru eyes from scratching? Honestly i don't see how its possible because we dip them into a liquid that supposedly when it drys will be bullet proof, I'm learning from my dad too though so i don't know all the ropes just yet. I think its called ploy carbonate or something like that.

6. Wdlangford

Wdlangford New Member

Rudy, polycaronate will still scratch. (Not that I have scratched any of your eyes)

7. Todd K

Todd K New Member

Rudy, are you Brads son, or Brian's? The last two deer I mounted with the tru eyes did not scratch, but I was real careful this time around.

8. CKolar

CKolar Member

Todd, I use Coombs eyes alot and like the result, my customers like them as well. They are a little pricey though.
    heres a few pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. willwilson

willwilson New Member

How much are these eyes and where can I get some?!

10. Debbie

Debbie New Member

Texas
    have you tried joe meder eyes from mckenzie. I have been in this business for 22 years and raise whitetail and fallow. Found them to be great and they don't scratch! Not cheap but great

11. Bryan's son, oh and its actually liquid glass that we dip them in, but the plastic the eye is made out of is polly carbonate.

12. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

I'm not trying to be smart a$$ so please do not take it that way.......but if you charge $50 more next year & use the eyes then they are cheap :)

13. NDNHunter

NDNHunter 2007 World Chamionships, Reno

Joe Coombs eyes are great. I use them a lot. The only downside in using them is there not very versitile. They only work for a straight ahead look. If you want to rotate the eye, even slightly, you"ll want to sculpt in the nictitating membrane. Straight ahead, there great. ;)