1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fin-Magic ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Beavis, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Beavis

Beavis Member

I cast some pelvic and pec fins with fin-magic last night, in a small bondo/resin mold. I mixed a small amount with a toothpick in a plastic spoon. I let it set up for a couple hours and demolded them. I made some nice transparent, thin fins, with absolutely no strength. If I hold one between my fingers it droops like a wimpy wet noodle. Whats the deal? Did I mix it wrong? I've never used this product before so any help would be appreciated.Thanks
    D

2. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

You mixed too much B compound in it it sounds like. You really need to mix it very thoroughly. Equal parts of both, and then mix them up evenly. When you think you mixed it enough, do it a couple more times.

Sounds like your mix was off. I use it all the time, and love it.

Hope this helps.
    Jimmy

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I agree with Jimmy

I've only used a couple of times with great results, mix well.

I used latex rubber to make my fin molds instead of bondo, then put the Fin Magic in. Only took a few minutes to set up though. Really durable and when you first take them out they are soft enough to put some nice curls in the fins before they get hard.

Kerby...

4. I agree with Kerby and Jimmy.
    Fin magic does a good job, if mixed equally and thoroughly.
    I also have some IE 3025 from Innovative Polymers to try. I have a fin made with IE 3025 that looks great.
    I use flexible urethane or rtv molds, but I don't think it matters.

5. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Innovative Polymers' IE 3025 or the IE 3080 (longer working time) both produce fins that are hard to beat. The material is also very "user friendly", which is a very important quality.

Paul B

6. rp

rp Member

Hi all, just wondering that as we do not have the products u have here in South Africa will it be possible to get the same quality wiyh clearcasting resin or does smooth on have a product that i can use to cast fins?

7. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

rp You can use Smooth on products -- try Smooth Cast 325

8. Beavis

Beavis Member

Thanks everyone. I didn't get a chance to last night. Maybe tonight. BTW I've used SmoothCast 325 for fins, and have had trouble getting a real good transparency.

9. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

This is a brown fin cast in 325 it is not totally clear just translucent. If you want crystal clear you will need a different urethane.

[​IMG]

10. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

To address your question I also believe you may have a mix ratio issue. I use fin magic a great deal and it has many uses for sure. I would give Steve or Eric a call at Epo- Grip you'll find both to be very informative and a good use of time if you are to use the product. I'm no master of the product however if you are really stuck you can give a call to the studio and I would be happy to help out if I can.

My Best!
    Rick Krane

11. rp

rp Member

Thanks Gary I'll give it a go, u guys are all awesome artists. I have learnt alot just from reading all ur tips. Thanks Guys ;D