1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

bass

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by justinj, Jun 17, 2008.

1. justinj

justinj Member

How easy are bass to mount compared to other fish?

2. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

a very good choice, tough skin and scales make it one of the easier fish to do...

3. justinj

justinj Member

how about painting?

4. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

once again, although all fish are difficult to properly finish, bass are some of the easiest for me...

5. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

i have to say bass is one of the easiest to finish for me as well RDA, very good choice for a first fish in my opinion.

6. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

I would have to agree with RDA. However I also think walleye are a good starter fish, IMO.

7. justinj

justinj Member

yeah i done other fish just no bass yet

8. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

bass are very easy to mount and paint. and to me rewarding when done. well all my fish are rewarding, but bass are fast for me so thats better right. next one up.

9. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

bass was my first. it was easy compaired to a smaller fish.

10. bdahyrt

bdahyrt New Member

go with a smallmouth bass over a large mouth if you can, smallies have much tougher skin than largemouths. Walleyes have pretty tough skin too.

11. Smallmouths are a little thicker skinned, but I think they can be a little trickier to paint for a beginner, and probably a little harder to attain. You can buy all the colors premixed for a largemouth. What ever you choose, go with a larger fish, they are easier to mount.

12. Frank from PA

Frank from PA Frank's other brother, Frank.

My first fish were yellow perch. Very tough skins. It used to be in Maryland you could keep 15 or 20. Now certain areas are off limits and when you can keep them it is a creel of 5. I eat yelllow perch and it is not worth fishing for them now. Maybe someday. Good luck. Frank.