1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

something off the beaten path - but for bird enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by JBird, Jun 19, 2008.

1. JBird

JBird Member

- I know its a taxidermy site - but its also a group of people who really appreciate birds. We have a large crane ranch where we keep and breed quite a few exotics (mostly cranes) this year we have been experimenting on Artificial Insemination - here me and a buddy are taking a sperm sample from a male Australian Sarus Crane - we then catch the female and inseminate her - for those who don't know - sarus crane's are the tallest flying bird in the world and can actually kill a person if you're not carefull - so catching him and "collecting" from him is always quite a delicate procedure - THIS is why I haven't been able to participate on this forum as much lately - we are in full swing breeding season...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. birdgirl

birdgirl full service taxidermy, specializing in waterfowl

why cant you let them breed naturally>? is the male aggressive toward the hens, he is a nice looking bird, very healthy.I knew that many of the large breed turkeys are also inseminated because they are so large they cannot breed naturally.

3. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

Thats really wild! I have never heard of doing this with birds...

I used to date a chic whos parents owned a large horse ranch and equestrian school. I have been "right there", up close and personal with equine insemination. I cant imagine doing this with birds. way cool.

Look forward to seeing some more work from you when your, um, hands arnt so full :p

HA!
    LJ

4. mantis

mantis New Member

lj did you ever post a finished picture of your tucan with the finazzo head

5. GulfcoastWF

GulfcoastWF New Member

lol, which one....

I hate to say I have 2 unfinished toucans with tony's heads. they are awesome and I wouldnt have guessed they were a realistic and nice looiking for the price I payed. thanks again Mr Tony Finazzo!

6. Peter Span

Peter Span Corvids, gotta catch them all!

I can see why that bird would want to kill a person haha.

7. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Do you give the bird a smoke afterward? or a follow up phone call?

8. hobbes

hobbes Member

Wow, looks and sounds cleaner than the Artificial Insemination class my brother took in college and described to me. It was for cattle and involved gloves up to your shoulder.

9. JBird

JBird Member

HA - yes, much less messy than cattle AI - just a few strokes on the hips - a shot glass - and a syringe and you're good to go.

Not all birds breed well in captivity - so you have to resort to AI - although the more common Indian Sarus breed relatively well in captivity - there are only a handfull of Australian Sarus around and none of them breed on their own - so you have to "help" them along - the crane breeding procedure (naturally) is a bit of a balancing act as the hen remains standing and the male has to balance on top of her - then squat - often times you see it and the male slide's off the side -

10. sidekick

sidekick New Member

Jeff,

Did your sandhill eggs ever hatch?...and did your stanleys lay another clutch yet? Did you have any problems getting the other two to the airport?

11. muleyhunter

muleyhunter Soulmates, Gods way of saying together forever

Jeff, you're scaring me buddy looks to natural for ya ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

12. BeckyBird

BeckyBird My Baby Bluebirds

Wow, that is so neat! Do you breed them to release back into the wild?

13. wingman

wingman Active Member

Very interesting Jeff, I mounted a Sarus crane years ago, I had no idea they were the tallest flying bird.The one I mounted was incoming for a museum so I never really got to see its ''height''.