1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

pH levels for deer cape...is 1.0 okay?

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Alicia L, Jun 19, 2008.

1. I am getting ready to put a deer cape into the pickle and am following McKenzie's instructions. 5 gallons of water, 5 pounds of salt, 2.5 ounces of Safetee acid, and I put in 1 ounce of Kemal-4 to help ready the skin also. When I tested the bath, the pH is 1.0. Is this okay? A book I have on doing deer said 2.0 is ideal, but the McKenzie directions say anywhere between 1.0 and 2.0 is okay. Which is more accurate? This is the first deer cape I have tried to tan myself, and only the second deer I have ever worked on at all, so any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

i would get the Ph up to 2, but some will say 1 is OK. keep checking it after you put the cape in because the Ph can change on you. GOOD LUCK

3. Jason O

Jason O Active Member

Wi
    that will be fine,it will rise on its own

4. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

It should be fine. As soon as you put the skin in the ph will probably raise anyhow. Just monitor it and make sure it does not go to high. I personally keep mine around 2.0. Just keep on it and mix your skins around daily.

Todd B

5. Thanks for the replies! ;)

6. HOOKJAW

HOOKJAW Member

You're going to be fine. Saftee acid at 1.0 is right where you should be. No need for K4 though in the pickle. You should have relaxed and cleaned it before it went in the pickle. Water,salt and acid are all that should constitute a pickle.

7. Larry B

Larry B New Member

1.0 is fine but not necessary. It takes more to neutralize with a lower PH which just costs more $$.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

HUH? Larry, that's like saying boiling water freezes quicker than cold water. As Hookjaw states, if you'r using SafeteeAcid, 1.0 is where you SHOULD BE. That old crap about 2.0 comes from formic acid which won't go any lower. Any time you have a "questionable" hide, the stronger the pickle the less liklihood of damage DURING THE TAN. When you want to neutralize it, a couple tablespoons of baking soda might startle you with what it will do to a pH. The only thing is that you should follow the directions of the tan and the pickle so that the CONCENTRATIONS of pH changing chemicals is not exceeded.

9. Larry B

Larry B New Member

I like 1.5, works fine. I don't use "safetee acid".
    It takes more soda to neutralize a lower PH not a big quantity in a smaller pickle. I was thinking in 50 gallons or more.