1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Aren't most deer forms incorrect at the base of the skull???

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by SCT, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Looks great Glen

2. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

this is a nice post.

3. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

nice looking doe head, when are going to have one out? I have a couple to mount.

4. Glen Conley

Glen Conley KARMA GOOSE R.I.P. 2006-2006

Deer Nephew NIB, when I started the doe head poll, I kinda put the does on hold until I got enough information from everybody. I ran in a couple more buck sculptures while waiting. I need to finish them up now so I can get them out of the way. I've got one buck sculpture dammed off and ready for a mold. Once I get him done, I can swing back over into doe mode. How long is it going to take? I dunno.

5. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

I was just going through my freezer and found a raw doe skull if you want it.

6. Glen Conley

There's a new crop every year. There's probably been two or three new crops since we originally started this thread. There's tons of sound info through out this thread. I'll bring it back up for all those that missed out.

7. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

SCT, Check the position of the facia veins. Location where they go under the zygomaticus muscle and the location of the Y. The center of the Y should be halfway between the back corner of the mouth and the front corner of the eye. The dang thing probably won't show anyway. lol

8. Glen Conley

Time to move this thread back tothe top for the new crop of readers. Too much sound info in this thread to leave it buried.

9. B.S.O'Hare

B.S.O'Hare Member

I dont know how a person could have missed it, it shows up on the first page of about %75 percent of the searches I make! Quite a thread for sure!

10. Glen Conley

We just had our fourth year anniversary on this thread! We've had "Read 41369 times" at this time. I've been told more than once over the years that taxidermy has a 20% annual dropout rate. Whether that is true or not, I can't prove it, but we can still bring this back up to the top for our new crop of membership. I wouldn't know where to tell someone they could buy this information. A lot of it is original information gathered by the writers.

11. Glen Conley

The next four photos were taken by buckmaster14. These four photos provide visual information that is hard to come by. We'll build on the information that will help with the understanding of whitetail taxidermy. Feel free to contribute to the thread with factual statements or questions.

One of the comments I have frequently seen on here that just causes me to shake my head "no" is someone telling the person that has already posted that all deer are the same around the country. That has to be a person devoid of knowledge. These doe photos are excellent. They were not chosen as the model by a sculptor. Her skin would actually fit up on a sculpture of a different conformation. Even though her conformation is of a different type, her skin stretches.

A buck of this bloodline will share conformation attributes, he will just have masculine attributes.

Let's take a look at some of the head features first. First off, this head is not symmetrical. Look at the lower eye socket bone. The one on the deer's right extends out more than the one on the left. Notice too, the eye does not have a very great upper lid assembly. I have argued this lid assembly more than once in the past with an "authority" on here but couldn't make my point to win the argument. I will take my prize now that I have proof to help support my argument.

These eyes have cant and angle that does not create a safety problem. Look at the head from a top view and you will see that there isn't so much brow and lid that would block off the view of a lot of tree stand hunters.

Now, put your eye and mind on the shape of this deer's head as an engineer artistic piece. Now this is from a front on view. This deer has a rectangular shape. Look at the view of the mule deer sculpture on the previous page and you will see that he had a triangular look.

Once again, look closer at the doe's head. Focus on the parts of the muzzle that is in front of the deer's eyes. The face is lower and flatter in the skin over the molars and premolars.

Attached Files:

12. Glen Conley

Attached Files:

13. absmithtaxidermy

absmithtaxidermy New Member

14. Glen Conley

Keep your eyes and mind in focus. Look at the setting of the eyes. Shape of the head, side to side. Look at the nose.

Attached Files:

15. Glen Conley

buckmaster14 has provided some photos that provides some very valuable visual explanations. Most photos of deer provide no information to people! It's not that they don't provide information, it's that the photos don't tell how to use them for their information! That's right, the human must be able to "read"! We're going to start to learn how to READ!

Quarter horse, thorobred, standardbred, walking horse, and Arabian all provide different conformations, and different gaits. Why? It's those different conformations, and different gaits. Let's look at the different conformation of this doe that isn't like you are familiar with, or like you see as the body you see every day. Look up some of the named off horse bodies to get a better understanding of body structure and function.

Once you've got a better understanding of the horse bodies, what better understanding of this doe's body do you gain? Make some remark, and I'll play again.

16. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Weeeeeeeeeeelllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll, let's play. A horse has an actual "shoulder" joint while a deer has a floating shoulder blade much like that of a rabbit. I'm not sure how that anatomy differs, but I know that it does significantly.

17. livbucks

livbucks Well-Known Member

Deer get it from natural selection while horses have evolved with intervention from man in modern times. Still, there is a method to the madness either way. That might get people talking!

Looks like George is going straight for the jugular today.

18. "A horse has an actual "shoulder" joint while a deer has a floating shoulder blade much like that of a rabbit. "

I'm sorry, but this is a topic I know a little about, having studied anatomy and done surgery on horses for over 40 years as well as cut up (and studied anatomy of) hundreds of deer. I don't have a clue what George is referring to. Both horses and deer rely on a muscular "sling" to support the weight of the front limbs and have no bone to bone articulation with the axial skeleton (floating shoulder blade???) The shoulder joint per se is the bone to bone articulation between the shoulder blade (scapula) and the arm bone (humerus). This has little to do with the anatomy of the base of the skull but both horses and deer have very similar skeletal anatomy until one gets down to the cloven hoof end of things.

19. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thank you horsedoctor. I actually have NO experience of cutting up a horse and ASSumed they had a real shoulder. My bad.

20. Glen Conley

horsedoctor, it is great to have you join us! Would you add more each chance you get? We could use your talent.