1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

McKenzie tan

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by tas, Dec 4, 2006.

1. tas

tas New Member

Need opinion about McKenzie Tan for deer capes and rugs. Also for small animal mount and rugs.

2. JRed

JRed New Member

I now do all my deer capes with it, after DP for a long time.
    I've used it for small game rugs and liked it, as well.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Though I've been told I don't know what the hell I'm talking about (often), I found this tan to smell good, look good, feel good, but with ZILCH, ZERO, NADA, NONE stretch that I was promised. I tried it without pickling, ala JRTS and had slipped hair. I'm stocking up on JRTS just in case there's not enough demand for it to keep it in business.

4. paul e

paul e New Member

Uncle George
    i like the JRTS and really have no complaints and used it without pickle also with great stretch
    but i like the liqua tan also
    i was worried they might cut it out of the loop so i tried liqua tan for insurance
    now i dont do hundreds of deer
    Ill try hard this year to cut it down to 6 or 7
    it seams to work better now that im using stop-rot
    and it has great stretch and spreads really good(dont throw anything at me)

it seams to work better than i remember

5. Jimmy Rimrock

Jimmy Rimrock Yeah, they come to snuff the rooster

I ran a test with Mckenzie tan againest my standard old Lutan. I tanned two mule deer capes, side by side, same pickle, same shave, etc. The main difference I encountered was that the Mckenzie produced a very "tough" leather, difficult to stick a wig pin through, for temporary positioning and a little tougher sew. I couldn't tell a difference in drying shrink or epi slip. From what I saw, I wasn't compelled to switch. I went to an immersion tan long ago based on the principle of it and a brush on will have to be a whole lot superior to get me to switch. Just my thoughts.

6. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

Tried it once, got as much stretch as George, maybe less. Liqua tan has worked great for years & will around here for many more.

7. JDT

JDT New Member

HMMM Just ordered some of the McKenzie tan. Have used the JRTS and liked it. Just wanted to try something new. You never know if you will find something you like better until you try it. Reading these posts I'm now having second thoughts but I have already ordered it so I guess I'll just see for myself how it is. :-\

8. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I have found even less stretch then Bill did with McKenzie tan, but keep it around for rump mounts and projects like that.

9. bennie

bennie Member

WHAT IS JRTS AND WHERE DO YOU GET IT AT?

10. George

John Rinehart Tanning Solution sold by McKenzie.

11. Dan K

Dan K New Member

I’m sorry, but I feel just the opposite of that and have been using it exclusively for taxidermy tanning for the last 3 years and have found it to be cleaner and have more stretch than Liqua-Tan. But everything I do is pickled in formic acid. I have done 450 deer capes this year and the taxidermists keep coming back with more. Something I’m doing is pleasing them. I just ordered the 5th five gallon bucket of it yesterday for the year. Now for the flat hides and rug work I prefer EZ-Tan with the Super-Soft oil. Just my little quirk I guess?

12. paul e

paul e New Member

Dan
    have you ever used JRTS
    the stretch is exceptional

13. bennie

bennie Member

Is JRTS a tanning cream and do you have to pickle the cape?
    If so what pickle do you use to get good results I have a bad shoulder n=and need easy stretch.

14. George

Personally, I DO NOT PICKLE. My capes are fresh when I get them so I follow the directions on the jug. You CAN pickle if you'd like and you can use any type you'd like.

15. tas

tas New Member

So George, I sould go with JRTS ? Also will it work for soft rugs?
    Thanks TAS.

16. George

I can't answer that question. I send all my rug work out to have it professionally done.

17. Dan K

Dan K New Member

paul e
    no, never used JRTS. Over the years have used or tried: Lutan, Curatan, Basyn-tan, Krowtan, Liqua-tan, EZ Tan and a couple others. My opinion, there is nothing wrong with Lutan when used properly, except that it is slightly expensive. Basyn-tan is so similar to EZ-tan that I can't tell the difference. I don't care for Curatan or Krowtan. Even though Krowtan does have very good stretch and appears to be a good tan. (it should, it has everything in it except the shop sink) it is too costly for volume work. McK Tan appears to tan the same quality as Liqua-Tan only being lighter, cleaner (not gooey) and goes a little further.

18. Frank E. Kotula

Frank E. Kotula master, judge, instructor

Dan there is a huge difference between McKenzie tan and Liqua-tan. The biggest is knobloch's liqua-tan is chemically stable where as McKenzie is not. Also folks get the stretch they want from Knobloch's and we have read where McKenzie does not have near as much.

19. JohnW.

JohnW. Guest

Thank you Frank K. and George,I talked to Mike Gillis from Mckenzie about the lack of stretch with the Mckenzie tan.He was shocked and asked me if I would give another quart of the stuff a try.I did a few more deer skins with a new quart(trying to give the product a fair shake in case the first batch was somehow messed up)and I had the very same results, lack of and I mean lack of stretch.I don't try to critisize products because what works for one person may not work for another,but when someone tries to convince me you get the same stretch as the tans your presently using and I don't,you realize their trying to sell their product and they really need to listen to the people using this product and stop trying to convince them it must be something your doing thats wrong because all these other folks are getting more stretch than with lutan f that they have been using for all these years.One of the taxidermist they used for their add actually had the intellect to say that this paint on tan actually gave his hides fur a nicer sheen?!The proofs in the puddin .;D

20. George

John, your results, my results, and those of half a dozen others I've talked to are all the same. The McKenzie tan has a LONG way to go to match JRTS or Liqui-Tan.