1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

eye tucking

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Joe Winsor, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Wdlangford

Wdlangford New Member

I would love to see some pictures of this method, I to have never tried it.

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Once hard headed, always hard headed I suppose, but I just don't buy into that crap. Those oil glands contain....OIL... and even with these old eyes and progressive lenses,I clean them OUT. I once heard that guy from "A SUPPLY COMPANY" remark that it was no big deal to just cut them off and let them lay to the glass eye "EVEN SUPERGLUING THEM DOWN IF NECESSARY". He was the same guy who said you should just shave off all the whisker follicles cause "they're just dust catchers anyway." Hmmmm, sure sounds like BS to me. Getting "thick" eyelids isn't just confined to tucking. With the "lay" method, you could still have too much clay covering the eye and end up with fat lids. The inner eyelid gives you the anatomical structure to assure that you've set the eye correctly IN MY OPINION, and I'm not going back to methods that left me with terrible result.

3. Matt

Matt Active Member

You guys have me interested after reading on this talk, bring on the pics! I have tucked everything with no problems with movement, but would like to try this lay method. It sounds like a good idea.

4. RDA

RDA Active Member

George, I agree totally that the eyes need to be preped the same way- that was said, but the no tuck method is being done by some very big dawgs as well......

5. I cropped and blew these up, a little blurry, not the whole procedure but you can see how they can turn out.

6. RDA

RDA Active Member

[​IMG]

another result shot

7. This one is before any finnish work.

8. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

I'm to old the change ;D

9. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

Hey guys. I sincerely appreciate this discusion. I hesitated at even starting it. Being a "newbie" I thought for sure I was going to have to toss out the cape in question.
    Joe

10. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I wear a set of omni mag 5X lenses when fleshing eyes. There is a whole lot of material in there to remove, and always enough skin to tuck if you get down to the nitty gritty. If you ever remove oil glands, you'll never leave them in anything again ever.

11. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    Let me get this straight, you do your clay work or do you use apoxie sculpt? Do you let it dry or mount when it is still wet?
    Probable feed the paste through the eye opening,Does it help to work some skin towards the eye?
    I seen a guy mount a whitetail he cuts off all the skin,except maybe a 1/16 of an inch just enought to wrap around,works the skin towards the eye, uses no pins. Just curiuos if this is close to what you are talking about?

Mike R

12. RDA

RDA Active Member

Mike, I clay just as usual, no apoxie sculpt, just no tucking, no messing with clay,,, no disortion and complete freedom of skin movement.....I usually let the clay firm up before slapping the skin to it.... Trim the eye lids after prepping as usual, just outside the color border of the eye ring, and just paint it with a brush into place!! I usually go back the next day and seat the eye lashes....

13. miker

miker Member

OHIO
    I got to give this a try at least once. thanks for the info

14. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

RDA,
    what do you mean by seat the eye lashes?

15. RDA

RDA Active Member

hang on, il see if i have a good pic of it...[​IMG]

If you look at the lash line, I take a small flat tool and at the topside of the lashes, tuck them or seat the lashes as they are when alive.... I used antelope to illustrate the point- they have nice hair that shows what Im getting at... :)

16. I take it all the way down to the glands George is talking about, and I do remove them. With a skife you can get very thin and not lose any lashes with care. I have very little clay as it lays on the glass, I let the last 1/8 in of the lid lay on glass not clay. I use a mix of Buckeye and dextrin and paint the eye and clay work, it is easy to clean it off even if it dries a little. RDA is right about the second day, you seem to get even better controle as the clay and skin lose some moisture

17. Here is one I finished up today. I been using the lay method for awhile now.
    Sorry kinda blurry.

[​IMG]

18. RDA

RDA Active Member

Lookin good!! I was a die-hard tucker from way the H back,,, and was finally convinced to try it, and havent tucked since..... :D

19. Here is another, can't see the lashes to well, though.

[​IMG]

20. Joe Winsor

Joe Winsor Active Member

thanks boys, I think I'll be fine with my eye skin cape...