1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Iwata airbrush ?

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Beavis, Jun 27, 2008.

1. Beavis

Beavis Member

I just started using a HP-B-Plus Iwata brush, I love it, but I can't seem to get the fine detail I'm looking for. Thin paint, thick paint, shoots fine, just not narrow enough for what I'm wanting. I have a small compressor (no tank) and I'm thinking its a pressure issue. I don't know what size tip the brush shipped with, but I heard that this is a good detail brush. Am I needing a compressor with a tank? Do I need a different tip? Help me. TIA
    D

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

You need a compressor that you can "regulate". A tankless compressor usually runs around 30-35 PSI. Reducing the pressure should help. Pressure can be a big factor in getting the airbrush to do what you want. The HP-B used to come with a .20 or a .30 needle, and I think that's still the case with the HP-B Plus. You should have found out which one you were getting, before you bought it. Think of it this way, the .30 is 50% larger than the .20, that can make a big difference!

3. Beavis

Beavis Member

Thanks OF, Has a 0.2 mm nozzle and a 1/16 oz (1.8 ml) gravity cup, it issues a spray pattern that ranges from fine detail up to 3/4" in diameter (from 0.2 mm to 20 mm). I'm gonna look into a new compressor. .2 mm is less than one tenth of a inch. This should do about anything I want. Thanks again.

4. Question about using "lifetone" lacquer paint for fish, i have this paint approx 10-15yrs old in my old shop, it's been froze/thawed naturally, not opened since? any comments will be greatly appreciated.

5. sorry all, i want to paint with the old paint? will this be okay?

6. LarryL

LarryL Member

One thing you might check is the needle seated all the way forward ? They ship them that way some times.

Larry

7. Is there any way to tell what needle is in them, or opening? In the Iwata that is.....Is the needle marked or anything?

Gene

8. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Gene, as far as I can tell from my HP's, nothing is marked on the airbrush or needles.

haldol, if you can shake the paint up and it doesn't remain in a clump in the bottom of the bottle, you should be able to use it. It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to pour the paint out and check for clumps of pigment before you use it. I know I've got bottles of paint(both Poly and Lifetone) that have been in my shop for that long. They get used only rarely, but they are fine when I do need them.

9. O.F.
    Thanks
    Gene

10. Thankyou, for you're info, i will try that. Take care.