1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need Help with ear skin.

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Team NWTF, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Team NWTF

Team NWTF Life is short, serve GOD!

I am working on a shoulder mount for competition, this is the first time I've tried removing the cartilage from the ears. In doing so the skin on the inside has split in a few places in both ears, they split from the middle out to the edges. What is the best way to repair them? I'll be using an ear liner.

2. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    Not sure what level of competition you are at...judges can be really tough on ears. If it were me, I'd probably not use that cape. However, if you have no other choice, here's what I would do: I'd wait until the mount is dry and try to repair the areas with a very small amount of apoxy clay, stained to match the inner ear skin as closely as possible...do this before you do your final painting. Make sure the areas are smooth and blended...no bumps or uneven areas.
    When you are gluing in the earliners, try to work those split areas so that they come together as best you can.
    Good luck!

3. Wdlangford

Wdlangford New Member

Dryer sheet and Zap-a-Gap works well.

4. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    For commercial deer, yes. For competition...no.

5. Team NWTF

Team NWTF Life is short, serve GOD!

Thanks Nickie, I don't Have another cape. It's a Deer that I Harvested last October, I was going to put it in the Professional division until the ear problem. I think I'll put it in the commercial division now.

6. inkyspal

inkyspal New Member

GA
    See how it turns out and then decide. It may not be as bad as you think. Take your time with it.

7. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

Team NWTF, I have a piece the same way ears split in the back. It has dried now and does not look that bad. I'll try to repair with apoxie sculpt like Nickie said and still put it in the professional division you get so much more from the judges there and they will give you a score sheet in that division that will tell you where your problem spots are on your deer in commercial you get nothing. I highly recommend you put you deer in the professional you will learn alot more.