1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Let Me Have it..

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by whitetailedvisions, Jul 1, 2008.

1. this was my first attempt at a Flehmen whitetail. It is on a Joe Meder Profile Pedestal Series. I also slightly modified the form by tipping the head about 20 or 25 degrees up to give it more of a Head- Up look . I have to apologize for this being the only picture i took before it went out.

I appreciate all comments and critique good and bad..
    Thank You

2. Clear Creek Taxidermy

Clear Creek Taxidermy New Member

Looks good for your first.

3. Kittrell Hill

Kittrell Hill 9 Beard Merriam 2008 Meade Co SD

Looks really good my first flehmen mount didn't look that good from what I can see.

4. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Correct me if I am wrong but the ear does not look right to me. Also I would squint the eyes more.

Todd B

5. yes the ear could have been rolled down more it would have looked better, i initial had the eyes squinted a little more but i didn't like the look

thanks Todd

6. Dean

Dean New Member

The eyes need to be squinted more only if you are trying to copy the photo that Todd put up. When mounting a flehmen deer you don't need to have his eyes squinted. The ears are weak at the ear butts and to far out from the head and need to be rotated as mentioned.

7. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

You are very welcome.

Todd B

8. Bojack

Bojack "PR" Moro's Nocturnal Timber Ghost

The earbutts look a little thin to me. As far as the eye needing to be squinting, I dont agree. I've seen photos of live deer flehming with wide open eyes. The ears do seem to be a littl too low to me though. Almost looks like an aggressive ear.

9. cht

cht New Member

Looks to me like he has that broken lower jaw thing that happens very often with that flehmen set. You need to cut that whole lower jaw off and open his whole mouth and not just the lower lip

10. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

Noone said the eyes have to be squinted It says "I" would squint the eyes more" there is nothing to agree or disagree about. Just a personal preference not a big deal.

Todd B

11. 3daddysinc.

3daddysinc. 3Daddys taxidermy studio and wildlife attractants

Can you show us a profile, when you get a chance? One of the biggest problems with that pose is, if you are not careful the bottom jaw position tends to look "broken". Just make sure that you have a smooth tronsition to the rest of the form when setting the bottom jaw... ;D

12. done right taxidermy

done right taxidermy New Member

the ears need to be rotated more!!! and there should be a straight line from the tip of the ear the the front corner in the eye..... for this pose anyways.

13. 3daddyinc, i have this pict. from before finish work. it does have the broken look

14. Rick Carter

Rick Carter Administrator

Flapjaw. The jaw hinges behind the eye near the meatus. Not halfway on the horizontal ramus.

15. willwilson

willwilson New Member

Hair pattern on the armpit looks to be way outside its boundary I think it should be inside the front ridge of the leg. and also the ears should rotate as they go back.

16. I've got to be honest you need to master the basics before you try to do specialty poses. it's not a very good mount. Nostril skin out of line, lip line not tucked right, poor ear edges, ear anatomy wrong and arm pits not lined up. Study reference!

17. Forgot one eye anatomy wrong. I don't mean to pile on but nobody ever got better at anything without making mistakes.