1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

ups screws me again

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by ryanolson72, Jul 3, 2008.

1. ryanolson72

ryanolson72 Active Member

May as well bend over and grab my ankles and take it. All of my freeze dry products went out 2 weeks ago and have not been received by the freeze dry company..... including a big check and lots of customers turkey heads and a hummingbird. This is going to cost me big time. How in the heck do they loose a package? I have my phone number smeared across the package along with the shipping information with my number and the receiver's number on it and my email address. Man am I hot! What a crock. they charge an arm and a leg to ship things these days and then they make a very costly mistake to me. Now i imagine i will have to buy stock heads and replace the hummingbird. there is not enough insurance on the package to cover 1/4 of that...... ahhh the joys of taxidermy! Makes you wonder if it was an anti-hunter that threw it in the trash!

2. I have a couple large frozen turkey heads in the freezer from this past season. If you need them let me know. I might even deliver them as we get up to Kalamazoo area about once a week. I have three ruby-throated hummingbirds coming to the feeder on a regular basis also. I could try and net one and freeze it right away----just kidding. Brian

3. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

I got a couple heads you can have Ryan, call me if you want them. They are frozen raw.

4. How you gonna replace the hummer? no way legally.

Did you send this package 2nd day? Normally when people have these problems with perishable items its because they shipped them normal UPS.

Always pay the extra bucks and go second day shipping only MONDAY AFTERNOON!

5. ryanolson72

yes. i sent them second day..... they left the main depot and never showed up at the next hub...... Thanks for everyones offers also. I am just going to replace with stock heads, but the big one is getting the hummingbird replaced........ I don't know if there is any way possible?

Thanks talfinger and T for the offer very nice of you 2. If ya can get me a hummingbird I would be tickled :)

6. drcambridge

drcambridge New Member

It very well could be somebody at your local UPS depot that is going out of his/her way to sabotage you. My Bro-in-law was having problems getting his hunting related mail and correspondence, he went down to the Post office with proof and the situation resolved itself immediately afterwords. The last time I sent birds out 2nd day via the USPS I put my home address and did not disclose what the contents were or that they were perishable, the 2 gifted ducks arrived w/o difficulty .Sorry about your situation.

7. ryanolson72

thanks for the advice. I sure have thought about getting in the truck and driving to the depot to turn a few heads. This is really putting a cramp in my pocket book.

8. RTF

RTF Active Member

Now that really sucks, givin you shipped 2nd day.

9. Mason

Mason Active Member

I often wondered about that clifftax.
    Everything we get from Joe Coombs, the package is trashed! Most of the time when they come, one from McKenzies, or Vandykes arrives also. Those packages always look great. I almost called Coombs the other day and asked who they p o'd at UPS lol. I had to get a new WT form the other day. The form looked worse then the package it was in.
    Mason Ron and Linda

10. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

We ship in new boxes that are completely unmarked. NO fragile, No nothing! Our return address does NOT indicate a taxidermy business. We also ship to the customer by his name, again no mention of taxidermy. We rarely have a problem

11. Very wise Bill.....have done the same a few times.

12. ryanolson72

that is what i will be doing from now on Bill. I was dumb enough to use my ups shipping account and it has my business name right on the top of it. It think it has to be the anti's at work. thanks for the input...... Hind sight is 20/20.

13. Ryan, not only the antis could have done it. At our local UPS terminal we have 2 part time taxidermists that I've been told like to destroy pkgs. of taxidermists (kick, throw down steps, bust open, even take stuff). Alot of my boxes are destroyed til I get them, but there's no proof that's what happened to turn anyone in. :-\

Bills idea sounds like that may fix alot of the problems. :)

14. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I mentioned in another post that I knew a taxidermist that was having shipping problems . His packages were getting "lost' broken or delayed on the next day stuff to the point the products were rotten. I suggested he remove all reference to taxidermy off his labels and "to" addresses. Since then he has had no problem. A large tannery I used , had to remove the words "Fur Dressers" from it's shipping addresses and things went a lot better.
    I have said for years that taxidermy will have to go underground in selective geographical areas like the drug dealers are now. You'll think I'm nuts and have told me so but you guys are in denial and or living in LaLa land . I'm nuts like a fox.
    I don't want any of my "good" "friends" commenting on this post/ reply because we all know you guys suck.

15. bY Lacey Act you must list on the outside of the package what the wildlife is.

I recevied a crate from Canada last week plainly makred "Wildlife" the crate had been slammed around, Fedex would not even deliver it to the house.

I am sure the boys at the terminal were girlly men. hell they could not even carry the crate and when they ask what was in it and I said elk antlers and a elk skin the whinced. One made a comment about thats gross.

I said "It pays your fuchiem wages, for the next three days" then explinaed the mounbt was for a young boy with muiltble distrphy and I was doing it for free and it would cost me about $150.00 in fuel to deliver it to the dying lad. Then the psshy man had a sad look on his face and said he was sorry.

We need to raise nine kinds of hell when we get boxes that are bashed, make the drivers stand there while we open the bashed boxes and check the contents.

Drivers are on timed basis and the more time thy have to ake with our bashed boxes the more they can complain and it does go up the chain of command, then its going to come down the cahin and hammer the aholes that do the damage.

Richard C missed you at the NTA.

16. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

John C
    Thanks for missing me , not many do. See you at Huntsville if you go. Hope all is going good.

17. ryanolson72

good post Richard. It sure seems anymore that the general public has a negative view upon us. I think we automatically go to the "redneck" list. Ohh well, I am going with Bills advice and i am not writing nothing on the package, not a business name or anything. It is going to be all personal names.

18. Brad

Brad New Member

It's your choice , you can ask for permission , or ask for forgiveness , I usually choose the latter.

sounds like pennies could have recovered dollars here if you would have purchased the correct amount of insurance. Live & learn , we have all been there to some degree.

19. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

See how far you get on an insurance claim for taxidermy.

20. ryanolson72

that is the reason that i don't typically add too much additional insurance. they wont cover anything that is perishable. But at this time i do wish i had more insurance on it. Hind sight is 20/20