1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

North Florida School of Taxidermy, July

Discussion in 'Training' started by northflorida, Jul 4, 2008.

1. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Wow is this post for real or a Joke? ?

I don't usually post to things like this but I am sorry but if you are charging some one for "taxidermy school" you should be able to turn out a decent piece of work your self. I hate to say it but I have never even had an apprentice turn out work that bad for their first ever pieces.

I have had several apprentices that went to a so called "taxidermy school" and have been appalled at some of the things they were taught. One that particularly comes to mind is I have one guy that was told " Who cares how long the mount last just as long as it doesn't fall apart before check clears"

2. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

Careful mjvaden, someone might come on here and tell you that you should post some of your work if you are going to critique. Well, probably not. I hope not as it puts my work to shame. Hehehe. Nice to see I'm not the only one thats not afraid to be honest at the risk of sounding rude.

3. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

That is sad that they cant see it...But you call it right Jeff

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

I have an apprentice now that paid nearly 27000 from his GI bill benefits to go to school. He picks up very fast & will be able to do fine work some day. But he didnt learn anything at the school worth knowing. He just needs to be "untaught" & he will be fine.

5. northflorida

northflorida New Member

Deer Photes

6. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

I am going to be as nice as I can be without hurting your feelings but Jeff is right....you have no business training other people how to do taxidermy when you really have no idea what you are doing. You have the basics but that is about it. If you were to put these deer in a state show I don't think they could get a blue ribbon even in the amateur division. You have so many things wrong that I don't even know where to start. To say the least, you need to get some training from an actual professional to correct these things. I think your mind is telling you that all of it looks ok and it's really not. I see that you have reference on your wall if you would break them down and look at each item of the deer such as the ear butts which is way too low.... among other things that are wrong with it and the eyes aren't not even close to being right. Get your references and look at them close. My God get a dead head of a deer and check it out. Question: Are you tanning these deer or dry preserving them? Or what diploma are you giving out and from where? I'm sorry if this hurts but this is the reason I got into taxidermy.... we only had one around here at the time and they were not doing things right either. So I started doing my own. I hope this didn't hurt too much I just hope you stand back and look at your work and try to correct it before doing on to teach other individuals how to do it. Good Luck.

7. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Very well stated, Doug

8. northflorida

northflorida New Member

more work

9. ???...... :-X

10. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

You keep showing the same pics. That is not going to convince any one. It really is to bad that you can't see what we are saying to you. I hope some of your students see this and understand what we are talking about.

11. northflorida

northflorida New Member

Preparing for another wonderful year in the taxidermy studio, also congrats to one of our students on completing their first year as a taxidermy studio and to many others that are preparing and just starting their first season.

12. northflorida

northflorida New Member

;D

13. northflorida

northflorida New Member

:)

14. cshank

cshank New Member

PA
    Fall of 09' im going to be attending Pennsylvania Institute Of Taxidermy. I visited this school and others before making my decision to go there. there are a lot of schools out there that are just trying to make a fast buck on people that don't know any better. with this said know matter what you are doing as a career you never stop learning. but to start someone off the wrong way just makes it harder on them and the industry that they want to work in. a lot of these people that you are calling rude have been doing this for sometime and or know what they are talking about. you can take it for what it is and help make yourself better or just be mad at them! its up to you!

15. TD

TD My GGG Grandfather John "Tanner John" King b 1820

Look ............People see the work out front.........there is no mis representation here at all..........If a hunter brings his/her mount to their studio and what they see is what they get---------it is their prerogative to leave it...............If he was showing the world something different than what he is teaching then he would be wrong..............But.........He is not..............This is HIS thread and not yours so be nice and stay out..............If you want to PM the guy some tips or what ever cut down you feel obligated to do then fine go for it(Privately)...............My advise to you North Florida is to DELETE this whole thread and make you another.................

16. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Well-Known Member

..............This is HIS thread and not yours so be nice and stay out..............[/quote]

This IS a public forum and the free exchange of opinions and ideas is what its all about.
    If you cant stand a little constructive criticism then don't post pictures.

17. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

This "school" is really disturbing to me. I have seen so many people come to me for employment that have gone to "Taxidermy School" and their pieces that they did in "school" Look as bad as the work that North Florida is posting. I can't imagine how any one being instructed by a COMPIDENT instructor could not turn out a decent piece.

I have an offer for "North Florida School of taxidermy Graduates." If you can prove to me you attended their program Come on up to North GA and I will give you a FREE work shop on how to properly mount a deer.

Mike

18. TD

This IS a public forum and the free exchange of opinions and ideas is what its all about.
    If you cant stand a little constructive criticism then don't post pictures.
    [/quote]LOL........Show me the constructive criticism on this man,s thread........All a see is Destructive criticism and what good is that going to do..........RUDE is RUDE no matter how you want to justify it...............Of coarse that is MY opinion.........

19. mjvaden

mjvaden New Member

Tom, Sorry but you are wrong there is a mis representation here.

If you are representing your self as a "School" one would assume that the instructors could properly mount a deer or any thing else for that mater. From What I can see Attending the "North Florida School of taxidermy" would be like going to a mechanic school Where the instructors main credentials is He has changed his oil once a couple of years ago!!

Now if they were simply offering a free week end work shop for some boy scouts that would be differant. But these people are representing them self's as a "school" which totally changes things. If you are an instructor at a school I would hope you would at least be able to get an "honerable mention" in the amateur category at a state show. Which nothing I have seen here from "NFST" could even come close.

Just like there are clients that don't know any better there are alot of people wanting to learn taxidermy that don't know any better and will get ripped off.

Work like theres is exactly why I became a taxidermist. Self taught incidental.

20. TD

MJ............There is a difference..........With a Mechanic you can't see a difference but with taxidermy you can.....................On this forum a person searching for a school can compare and if they can't see the difference then they never will...............