1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Whitetail deer neck inscision

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Larson, Dec 6, 2006.

1. John W.

John W. New Member

Re: White taile deer neck inscision

Michael P.,with only cutting a v incision there's not a lot of room for skinning the head out,so you remove the antlers first.This is a great incision if you don't like to sew,takes a wee bit longer than other methods but you save your time on sewing.The sawz-all has to be one of the best tools for taxidermy ever invented,buy a 10 inch wood blade and go to town.My son and I use it to not only cut antlers off but to quarter up our critters.

2. Brian Claar

Brian Claar New Member

Re: White taile deer neck inscision

Clay work through the eye holes ! ??? ??? I can't even imagine trying to do that!

I use the Y incision most of the time, but I have done a burr to burr (straight line) incision for competition. I use a chisel. Saw would be quicker and easier though.

MP, cutting the horns off on a short incision makes it easier to get the skin off. I only do this on competition work, or if a customer is in a hurry and wants to show off his mount.

PaulK, here is what I do to keep from messing up my eye work.
    Do both eyes to make sure you have set them corrrectly.
    Let them dry for about 45 min to an hour. ( I use Critter Clay) I have even used a blow dryer on them to speed up things.
    Rough your form and finish prepping skin in this time. If your skin is thinned enough you won't mess up your eye work.
    They should start to set by now.
    Use alot of glue on the face and dont worry about getting it on the eyes. Don't get stingy with glue on your head work, it helps you taxi the skin better.

Works for me everytime.

3. with the y cut done , then how do you get the hide back over the deer form with the antlers on?

4. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Take the antlers off the form, slip the hide over the form, then re-attach the antlers.

5. thanks, but i thought you had to sculped the antlers in with mache or clay., how would you take the antlers off again after you have done all that?

6. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I sculpt the muscles around the skull cap after the cape is on, and antlers have been re-attached.

7. thanks everbody. i guess i should be easy and not get the hidepaste on the hair....

8. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I click on the Mike Bunker tutorial, but I get this thread. What's up?