1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Help with hair management

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by JEJ, Dec 6, 2006.

1. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    I have a mount a taxidermist did for me a couple years ago and there is a fold in the skin where the back of the neck meets the back. It run perpendicular to the sewing line and is about 1.5 inches long. During the summer months (higher humidity) the hair sticks up some, but tolerable. In the winter though (dry) the hair sticks up at about a 45 degree angle. Any suggestions on how to fix this so it looks better? Unfortunately it is displayed where you can see it from the side, making the hair quite obvious. Thanks.

2. Matt

Matt Active Member

Sounds like a wrinkle that didn't get pulled out, or one that naturally shouldn't be there. Only way to correct it now(depending on how the cape was prepared) is to rehydrate and taxi the skin around to lay down properly.

3. saugman1

saugman1 New Member

I have had luck with placing a damp paper towel on the area for about half an hour so the hair becomes damp on just the sight needed and not all over the mount. after the hair is damp put some hair gel on it and let it dry. I have used this on mounts that a customer brings in from the other guy. hope this helps

4. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    Thanks Matt, best way to rehydrate? (I will call and see how prepared). Also when I taxi the skin will I have "room" to remove the slack without removing stiches or staples?

5. JEJ

JEJ Active Member

PA
    saugman1, thanks for the answer on rehydrating

6. shinbone

shinbone New Member

if all else fails...use hair gel

7. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

I would also go with the trusted "MEGA HOLD HAIR GEL Maybe put your gel down over the untuly hair, then cut a piece of cardboard that will fi over the hair, and pin down for a week or so....May help....