1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Lifesize Mammal of the Month #4 (7/08-8/08)

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Doylestudio, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

here is the finished bobcat from last month...I forgot about this thread..I love looking at LS mammals great work guys...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. NAV

NAV Frontier Taxidermy

Joey,
    The one thing I never like when I finish my cats is, I'm never happy with the nose color. It looks like you nailed it. Great job!
    You can spill the secret to me and the whole net if you like. ;)

3. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I agree with NAV. Bottle a gallon of that nose paint up and name your price........I'm sick of mixing, and that is the color I really want. Or, maybe share with us how you come up with it. ;D

4. Joey Arender

Thanks guys it was really one of the easiest noses I have ever painted on a bobcat...it was done with one color believe it or not......

Its not so much the paint as what is under it....LOL I flattened the nose on accident, I guess, before closing the shop and had used appoxi sculpt to replace the one on the form I whacked off...so It was set and a a rebuild job was in order and the main cause that caused that color and an experiment ...

I had just started using red flock..mixed with all game( I think its all game I will edit it if not) and liked everything about it so far so I decided to rebuilt the nose using it. I probably mixed it on the heavy side as far as the flock goes but I like the results and will do it from here out on any I get in...its the closest I have gotten yet... well once I had the shape I wanted I textured it with a dry brush. Once it was dry I toned it down with LT dark brown..then steel wooled it so the dark brown was just in the low spots...then I went over the edges with dark brown again thinned real well with retarder...I let it mist on to the pad from the edge in and dry brushed a thinned coat of polytranspar wet look WA gloss. and that was really it...

5. Very nice bobcat. Josh ;)

6. Jesse Carr

Jesse Carr Get a holt with your feet and stick your chest out

Holy hair NAV that Lynx looks like a pillow its so fluffy

Joey now youve done it the secrets out lol dont you just love it when you accidently mess somethin up once in a while then you get creative and it comes out awesome

great mounts fellas

7. Joey Arender

Thanks but I don't know about the awesome part...I am just glad it came out and the customer liked it...

8. Alan B

Alan B Member

Ok now that I figured out the picture posting part ;D I am going to flood the market with Photo's here are a couple from last season thought you might like to take a peak at.

9. Nice lion there Alan B

10. just finished sewing this up just now.... ;D

11. Rich, great work, would love to do a bou sometime.

Alan love the rolls on that cat!

12. Hey Alan B

I love the base with the two yotes , where did you get it or buy it?

I really love the way it is finished, how did you do it? Please share

Thanks Dan

13. Alan B

Alan B Member

Hey Dan,
    I make all my rocks and bases they are framed out with 1x1 and chicken wire then burlap and mache then I use Research Mannikin's Rock mix (Granite) and paint. On this particular rock since it was going to hang fairly high on the wall before the rock mix I mixed Bondo and Fiberglass resin until very soupy and coated it for strength most times I dont have to though.The whole mount probably weighed about 40 or 50lbs. Hope this helps.

14. T+T

T+T New Member

Here's a customer mount we just got done sewing. a little grooming an then we wait for drying.............the worst part is the waiting

15. great looking cat TnT, your client will be very pleased.

Dan

16. Studio106

Studio106 New Member

TnT- You call that a mountain lion? I wouldn't hang that in my outhouse much less my house. You should get a hold of Brad miller from the legendary Trophys Unlimited studio; maybe he can staighten you out.

17. Love the face on that cat TnT. Studio 106 is either jealous of your work or the biggest bullshi$$er ever!!!!

18. Doylestudio

Doylestudio Active Member

Very nice Mountain Lion TNT.
    Looks great!
    -taFlinger, If I had to guess, I'd say they know each other.

Mike

19. T+T

T+T New Member

mike, i do know him ........ good?............bad?................who knows ha ha ha ha ha ha.

I do have to say Chad and my wife Tara did a damn good job on our first big cat.

20. timberlandtaxidermy

timberlandtaxidermy Taxidermy Instructor NTA Certified Judge

TnT,
    Good looking face on that cat.
    It's hard to tell from the pics how well the body is, but for the face...Very "Catty".