1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How many of you stop to look at road kill

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by RLDILWORTH, Sep 9, 2006.

1. never

4.8%
  2. seldom

7.9%
  3. 50/50 could care less

4.8%
  4. yes I do (sometimes)

55.6%
  5. yes I must ( all the time)

20.6%
  6. the law will not allow me to

7.9%
  1. RLDILWORTH

RLDILWORTH LIFE MEMBER NRA AND NTA

ok It's your turn

2. Nina Lukaszewicz

Nina Lukaszewicz Outdoor Dreams Taxidermy

I wish it was legal here in PA to take roadkill....well it is, but only if you contact the game commission and pay them for the animal you want to take. $25 for a pheasant, $100 for a deer, that's ridiculous. Who wants to pay for something that got hit by a car, died on the road, and is probably damaged to some degree. All roadkill here in PA should be free for the taking, good practice for people like me who can't afford to buy specimens all the time. lol

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

If I stop, it's usually so I can back up and run over it again. Someone's always bringing in crap here that was roadkilled and "hardly messed up at all." I like to insure they can't make that statement. The state is the worlds worst for that. They're always bringing in road killed otters and beavers blown up twice their normal size.

4. I stopped for the first time this past winter. I thought I witnessed someones dog get hit. Stopped to see if I could do anything and it turned out to be a real pale coyote. I took it and now it's in the freezer.

My cousin works for the highway department and thinks it's funny bringing me rotting deer heads (minus the rack of course).

5. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Used to,............

I did it when I lived in Kansas (1974-1986). Back then the fur market peaked in the late 70's early 80's. Back then picking up road kill fur bearers was legal and very profitable. You couldn't pick up a road kill deer though without a tag from DPS/Highway Patrol etc..

I ended up selling most of the fresh road kill coon, coyotes, bobcats, etc.. with a fur harvesters permit. And I believe you could only do it while they were in season.

:)

Kerby...

6. aussiesam

aussiesam I'm an Australian.

I stop if its a fox or other ferals, but not for a native mammal, like roo's, koala's, echidna's or wombats.
    (In my part of Oz I cant work on those without paying a ridiculous license fee per year. Its a shame really)

7. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Considering, I am a bird taxidermist, and 99% of all birds are protected.. I seldom stop. Mammals don't twink my imagination as much as a pile of feathers on the yellow line.. Although I did hit a porcupine and stopped.. just to look.. I have never seen one before..

Birds usually don't fare very well at all when combatting against a vehichle, so stopping is usually a moot desire.. I will make exceptions.. especially if it is something that I cant make a simple identification of by slowing down. Then my curiosity gets the best of me and around I turn.. OR if it looks to be something on the rare side of life, in good enough shape that the museum I work for could benefit from it in some degree.

Jon

8. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

I stopped and looked at a freshly killed 5' alligator one time when I was near Avery Island, LA (Tabasco Country). I really wanted that gator, but my better half kept me honest. Also, he wasn't totally dead yet. I did not want the local headlines to read "Mississippi redneck hospitalized and arrested after wrestling with half dead, totally pissed gator"!

9. Mink

Mink New Member

I always stop for roadkill when I'm riding my bicycle, and most of the time I can mount it in some way or another. I've found 7 squirrels this year in our neighborhood alone, and all but 4 were completely life-size mountable. 3 of the unmountables had smashed up heads, and another one had a big road rash down the side of his body. I only mounted the head of that one. I skinned the ones with damaged heads and tanned the pelts as wall hangings.

10. Leslie

Leslie New Member

We get deer almost everyday hit by cars in my area. If I know it's less than an hour old, maybe I'll stop. It keeps someone else from bring it to me twelve hours later to have it processed. Then, of course, I have to tell them no. I have mounted a gray fox that was road kill, but the ears slipped. I have the fox on display in my shop, and if someone brings in a roadkill to mount, I plan to show it to them, so they know the risk they are getting into.

11. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

Yea I stop, but most fo the times just to see what it is and how bad of shape its in. Ive picked up foxes before that were in good shape. ANd a coon once or twice, but nothing big like a deer or something.

12. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

I'm with a lot of other folks so far on here. There are restrictions here as to picking up fur bearing animals off the road, which you need a license for and it has to be in season, then you work on skinning the critter than was just hit by 2+ tons of metal that turns into a mess with a low chance of minimal damage (slippage). I always like to play the odds in my favor, and roadkill most of the time won't pay off in the end. That doesn't mean however that in the dead of winter when the average temps are cooler that I won't stop and just make sure, taking a look is at least worth my time.

13. Jan Van Hoesen

Jan Van Hoesen New Member

In MI you can only pick up road kills if they are in season and you have a proper hunting license. But I have a scientific collectors permit and can pick anything up all year long in MI. But why bother with a summer coat fox or such? I do some rehab work for the DNR so pick up some animals as food for rehab critters. I always keep my eye out no matter what time of year as you never know what you might find. I only stop when it looks like it might be in decent shape for food or mounting.
    Jan

14. Mink

Mink New Member

I don't think there's any roadkill restrictions here in Florida. I've displayed my mounted squirrels in a few places, with a description saying they were road kills, and I've never once gotten in trouble for it.

15. This last past week stop me for awhile from picking anything up, lol I saw a nice coon on side of road stopped went up no apparent smell looked good so I grabbed his tail and thats all that ended up in my hand lol than the smell came ... stinking thing should have known better 95 degrees outside (like saying said nothing good free)

16. In my early days of taxidermy I stopped for every roadkill I saw. I even went out hunting for them on purpose to find specimen to practice on and for my skull collection. Then I found out, in TX that is considered roadhunting, which is illegal. Now I'm not doing it anymore, but not just because of the law. I just don't need the critters anymore. :-\

I do must admit that I did stop for a nutria one year ago during deer season. It was the largest nutria I have ever seen and it was in perfect condition. I took it home and skinned and fleshed it. It is now tanned and the largest form on the market is too small for it. Yer all may end up seeing this one in a future NTA competition. ;D

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Well-Known Member

Here in Alberta we can get a 20. dollar permit for anything but a duck or a song bird.So I have a nice collection of raptors as a result.My favorite is a short-eared owl mounted by Wade Pearson,and a dark phase rough-legged hawk by Ed Thompson.I`ve encountered so many Great horned owls That I`ve stopped picking them up.On my trips through the US. I`ve seen so many beautiful raptors road-killed and I can`t touch them!

18. jessicaj

jessicaj New Member

Depends on what it is, I stop and look at them if they look pretty good. If it's a nice velvet buck or something I'll maybe cut the antlers off or if it's in really good shape take it and cape it out. During fawning season I stop and look at EVERY doe and inspect the womb for fawns. Coons I don't even bother with, they are kind of boring. Found a red fox, summer hair but it was a pup so figured what the heck. All depends on what it is and what kind of shape it's in.

19. RLDILWORTH

RLDILWORTH LIFE MEMBER NRA AND NTA

I stop to look at things that catch my eye, 5 years ago a saw something that turned out to be a mother otter. she was out looking for food, crossed a road and got hit. The thing is I live in a heavly developed area. Where and how any otter could live is a real wonder. It was summer and she had pups, some where? I called as many prolife animal folks that I could find, because if she had baby otters in a den they need some one to find them a new home-mother. No one took intrest and I was working so I could not take the time to find the den. I feel bad for the otters. I dont have the same concern for our deer, they get hit all the time. Deer are found allover the county. You can find most of them when you are driving, they love to hide durring the day and jump out at night. They cost state farm insurance a lot of money..lol...

20. Wolf

Wolf AHOOoooooo!

Hey Evelyn, we can pick up non-game roadkill. You just have to have that silly little Nongame collection or dealer permit in Texas, if you collect over the limit. I'm with you, don't have room for the extra... but dillos are hard to pass up. People are always asking if I have dillo skulls for sale.