1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

painting a pintail bill

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Ed, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Ed

Ed Member

How do most of you paint the bill of a pintail duck? I am having trouble making a sharp line between the blue and black colors. When I so one color it oversprays onto the other.I was wondering if tape or a shield would might help? Any ideas will help. Thankyou.

2. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

Ed,

Don't be afraid to incorporate a true brush with the use of your airbrush... The two make a happy marriage.

Jon~

3. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

I also use a lil' tape sometimes...Pintails can be a pain and like you said...You keep spraying into the two colors...On the tape, make sure you get as much adheasive off as you can by applying to your jeans several times before sticking on your bill...If you don't, you'll be scratching your head as the tape pulls off the paint when it comes to ripping it off! Good luck!

4. jhawk

jhawk My second job.

Ed,
    I use a combination of airbrush and artist brush. The artist brush works well along the edges of the mandibles. For the black that runs from the culmen to the nail I use a business card that has a irregular edge that I use to control overspray. Since you spray the black last, using tape to control overspray would make me nervous. Good Luck.

5. Ed,Jhawk has hit the reply perfectly.Couldn't have said it any better.