1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

YRWM PRONGHORN

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by NICKYG, Jul 12, 2008.

1. NICKYG

NICKYG "IS IT ALIVE, OR WAS IT MOUNTED BY GLORIOSO?"

2. Mason

Mason Active Member

Re: YAAK RIVER WILDLIFE MOUNTS 1/2 MOUNT PRONGHORN!

Dont know much about antelope. But it sure is pretty and a very clean job!

Mason Ron and Linda

3. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

except for that ear it looks nice. I like the design concept. Hard to tell about the face in this photo but it looks good from what I can tell. Thats a very big goat horns wise. I hate your business motto, way to cheesy for a true pro to use in my opinion.

4. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

that is cool

5. NICKYG

Hey James!!!

This pronghorn actually had a naturally split ear, in which I kept natural...I also have gorgeous photos of his face...He is a dandy, and hey, it was my first antelope hunt and first one I ever shot at...What a lucky S.O.B.!!! ha ha ha ha!!! Talk to ya, Nick

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Nick, it ain't the split that makes the ear wrong, it's the position. It's half way down the goat's neck. I don't think I've ever seen a goat with ears laid down. Back? Perhaps. It is a nice concept and the work seems to be good but that ear screws the pooch in my opiniion. I agree with Jim on the motto. That kind of motto can have a double connotation for those mounts you later improve on. Sometimes a "lifetime" seems a bit excessive.

7. grumpa

grumpa Active Member

Jimmy and George are correct. The ear is way off. Wrong direction and placement. Unless you can show us a live antelope with his ears like that.

8. NICKYG

I CAN SEE HOW YOU GUYS THINK THE EARS ARE NOT SET RIGHT BY THIS BAD PHOTO NOW...WILL POST A BTTER ANGLE SHOT SO YOU CAN SEE THEY ARE PERFECTLY PLACED...THANKS, NICK PROFESSIONAL TAXIDERMIST OF 10 YEARS

9. George

Nick, I've noticed that you seem to enjoy posting pictures of your work and you seem quite enamored with their realism. Let me just offer a bit of advise: This is a site filled with TAXIDERMISTS. Some of us have been doing this much MUCH longer than you and there are many on here who are national and world champions. You may impress your family and customers with pieces that the professionals will hang your ass out to dry on. Now I live in the east and probably haven't done more than 15 or 20 pronghorns in the 50 years I've been doing taxidermy, but I know the difference between a bad picture and a bad mount. If it insults you to be told that, then you might want to rethink posting them on THIS site. Even when you DON'T ask for it, when you post a picture, it's going to get critiqued. Many of the younger and less experienced people will blow roses up your butt by saying "Nice Job", "Excellent piece", or "Great work", but those of us who've been around the track more than once are going to speak the truth.

10. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Don"t want to highjack nikky's post, just didnt want to start a new one on this.
    George and James, you want to hit me on this one please? I know it's not lifesize
    but was looking for an honest opinion. This was my first pronghorn. I didn't notice
    i dropped the left ear a bit till i took the damn picture. Thanks, Scott
    [​IMG]

11. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Here is a ref. picture to show the ear location on a pronghorn. Although this one is not running, the ear butts do not fall down his neck, when doing so.

12. scpol

Thanks nibjones, those pictures say it all. They went straight in the reference file, Scott

13. George

And notice closely that when the prong is looking forward naturally, a horizontal line drawn through the center of the eye will come UNDER the ear so it can see movement from behind. Again, draw a line from the nostril through the center of the eye and you'll see it hitting the ear almost dead center. Your ears looked just a bit low.

14. scpol

Just through a level on it. About one inch low. Thank you for that george. Scott

15. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

The black patch on a pronghorn is never located on the neck at all. It stops at the cheek neck connection. Scott also work on your prep or shaving skills as that will greatly improve your nose and lip work on a finished mount. Your hair pattern job looks good otherwise.

16. nibjones

I was going to mention the lines, I figured since you would be back, and I learned it from you, I would let you do so. By the way Thanks George, for those of us who are willing to learn, you have a lot to teach.

17. George

Here's a photoshop edition of Brians picture

18. Bobbi Meyer

Bobbi Meyer I luv to ride my tricycle, I luv to ride my trike

OMG George has resorted to using red lines!!!
    The apocalypse is coming!!! ;D

19. scpol

Thanks for the help guys, i know the next one will be better now. Scott

20. nibjones

someone PM Glen, he would be so proud.