1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Cross bows in Louisiana now

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by cypresslake, Jul 13, 2008.

1. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

They changed the law here in Louisiana that anyone can use a crossbow now instead of a regular bow, just wondering if its like that in other states too.

2. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

Sorry I meant to put it in current events

3. nibjones

nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

Only with a Dr. note on partial handicap, Here in MI. They can be used by an one during firearm season.

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

same in NH where i hunt.

5. Here in Tx. I beleive you can hunt with one if your handicap during bow season. And anyone can hunt with one during gun season. Unless they changed the laws I think thats the way it use to be.

6. sidekick

sidekick New Member

Unfortunately I live in Oregon...One of two states that does not allow xbows for anything at anytime...totally sucks. Having said that...I have an Excalibur Exocet 200 for sale if anybodys interested. ;)

7. unsure of the laws here in Fla - I jsut left NC and there you need to be handicapped to be allowed the use of the crossbow.

how much you looking to get for the x-bow sidekick?

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

$650. he put it in current events

9. Ken F.

Ken F. Member

Here in Georgia any one can use a cross bow.

10. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Wyoming allows crossbows and in the past I have been active fighting them during archery season but my mom aged 89 and counting still hunts and the only way she can bowhunt deer with my son and I is by using her crossbow as she can not pull a 45lb. bow anymore. So I have toned out my resentment against crossbows. She shot a nice 4x4 mulie last year with one last year from a stand blind. Smiles all around but deep down I still resent crossbows for most people during archery season.

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

i have never had a problem with anyone using them myself.

12. Mason

Mason Active Member

Yeah for your Mom James ;D
    Bless her heart!
    And I respect your opinion about them also.
    But. I bow hunted for 12 years. Then one night. It got robbed away from me when my Lat muscle on my right side tore loose from my shoulder blade in my sleep. Only thing could be done was operate. Well, with no insurance and no extra funds LOL.
    I learned to do a lot without it. But pulling a bow back is almost impossible for me. I use a crossbow. Not as fun as my compound. But I keep it open sights.
    At least it got me back in the woods during bow season.
    Mason

13. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

it's a double handycap. The bolt doesn't fly anywhere near as fast as a compound can, they are loud, and a guy with a compound can shoot 3 arrows to 1 shot by a crossbow.

14. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

Its just that the B.O.W. club here in Wyoming worked hard to get special archery only seasons and areas. One of our big arguments was lack of success % among bowhunters but that was in the days just before compounds became popular. Its the archery equipment makers that really push crossbows and its mostly two season hunters, rifle/ bow guys that want to hunt crossbows during archery seasons. Archery takes a commitment and I mostly see that commitment lacking in crossbow hunters. They seem to be to me all for the kill and not the lore, tradition a true hunt of what I believe most archers mind sets are. But exceptions exist and like I said I am more open minded these days than I used to be because of my mom; she loves to hunt and just be there. I only hope I am still limping down old dirt roads and trails with my camo on and with a yes even a crossbow at 89+ like my mom does. My dad died of a heart attack here in Wyoming trying to climb a steep hill after a big bull elk at daylight. That was over 20 years ago. He was 71. He was a WW2, Korean and Viet Nam veteran.

15. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

i think it's AWESOME that your mom still hunts. I say good for her ;)

16. Missouri is handicap only during bow season. You can use one during regular firearms season without a special permit.

17. whitetail94

whitetail94 New Member

The state of Louisiana has been trying to pass it for years now, but our state bowhunting organization has been fighting it. The sporting goods store that I work for ,here in Louisiana, has been selling crossbows for as long as I can remember. We have already seen an increase in xbow sales since the law has been passed. I have no problem with crossbows being legal for anyone to hunt with during archery season. As for me, as long as I can physically draw a compound, that's what I'm hunting with. Crossbows are louder and are more awkward to tote in the woods.

18. mark11

mark11 now accepting new wholesale clients

Here in Ohio anyone can hunt with a crossbow anytime during the season. I have personally never had a problem with it as, I guess, I have always fealt that it was more important to find and keep the number of hunters participating in the sport to be more important than the nostalga one feels for a particular means of pursuing it. We are slowly becoming a dying breed as the number of new recruits is going down each year. MarkW.

19. Lenny

Lenny New Member

The only advantage a cross bow is you don't have to draw it back when your ready to shoot. Most compound bows will out shoot the crossbows. There not as good as the movies making 100 yards.

20. dplais7124

dplais7124 Active Member

crossbows are legal in la everywhere except national wildlife refuges. wma's are ok. cypresslake where in la are you located?