1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I busted another taxidermist throwing away my business cards

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by 22Fathoms, Sep 9, 2006.

1. 22Fathoms

22Fathoms New Member

Utah
    I swear, some people. I went to my local sporting goods store today to check on my business card supply since it is currently bow season, and rifle season is knocking at the door. I have two spots where the cards are (main store and the archery section), so, I go over to the archery section and I see a guy with is back to me, throw something away. The only reason I noticed him was because he was in my way to my cards. At first, I had no idea what he threw away and I could have cared less. I excused myself and filled the empty card holder up that was 10 inches in front of his belly. As soon as I started filling it back up, his girlfriend looked at him and I got this strange feeling like I had a rip in my pants or something and they were noticing it.

Then, in part of a second, I glanced into the garbage can as I was turning and saw something familiar, but did not realize it was some of my cards until I took another step back. I moved forward to retrieve them and you could have cut the tention with a knife, so it clicked that he was the dude who actually just got done throwing my cards away. I looked at him and since I am terrible at coming up with awesome on-liners on the fly, I just said, "Oh, wow, somebody threw my cards away."

I left wishing I would have made a scene, but instead, while I was getting into my truck, I noticed that a truck with big taxidermy decal on the back window, and the cynic in me thought the worst, so I sat in my truck and waited for him to leave the store to see if it was indeed that taxidermist. I have never seen him before today. Sure enough, they come out and get into the truck and that was that. I don't like confrontations and it is always seems like a smart thing for me to avoid anything that could escalate into something illegal and immature, but man would I have like to done something. I also don't get it, because he is $150.00 less than me on deer heads and I am sure he has never had to spend money on any taxidermy association dues. I did call him a poopy head under my breath though.

Sorry I wrote so much, but I had to get if off of my chest and what better place!

2. John_NY

John_NY Northern N.Y.

Did you go back in the store and see if he replaced your cards with his, or just tossed yours away again? If he left some of his, toss-em in the trash. The creep deserves to get something done to him.

John

3. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I can't believe,............

**I did call him a poopy head under my breath though.**

Don't you think that was a bit harsh??????????????

LOL

:)

You took the high road.

Kerby...

4. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I suspect I have had this happen too. Cards running out way to fast which I found suspicious. People that do this kind of crap rank up there with bad mouthing a competitor and making up bad things about them. Been there done that too. Really low class. :mad:

Not really a solution but I glue a card on a card holder which is attached to a mount. If all the cards are gone this one card is still there.

Maybe you could put a note there on the one affixed card that says something like, "Please ask management for card?"

5. Atdymoke

Atdymoke New Member

22Fathoms .... I thought your picture there was you taking care of the situation, LOL!! ;D

I agree with Kerby and Cecil ... you did the right thing showing you are the bigger man!! If he is $150 less on deer heads he probably doesn't have a great quality product, plus if he is lowering himself to throwing away cards I would suspect that you have or are putting a hurt on his business.

Have you talked to the management of the store and let them know what is going on? Does he advertise there as well? Cecil had a great idea with pasting a card to the holder letting customers know to ask for a card.

Good luck!

6. JC you are the bigger man for it. That other guy may lay low from now on because he knows he got caught red handed. Look at the positive. That guy is so afraid of you that he has to go around and throw your cards away. I hope you did go back into the store to see if he did it again. Yer may want to call him up one day and tell him on the phone that if your cards disappear like that again you may just have to make a visit to his shop which wouldn't turn out too pleasant for him.

People like that are weasels and cowards. That guy, when confronted, probably would tuck his tail between his legs and run like a whooped dog. Don't worry about him, he'll soon disappear or quit doing it. :)

7. Ooops, :-[ sorry I callyed you JC. My bad, not enough coffee in my system yet. :)

8. And remember what comes around really goes around... you did the rite thing and you will be blessed for it, and no wrong ever gets blessed so keep on doing the rite thing, lol BUT you need to wash out your mouth with soap, after that bad language ROFL

9. mrdux

mrdux Member

I have brought this scenerio up here before. I have this very thing happen lots of times. Any time my cards are removed and replaced by another taxidermist cards they are always the same competitors cards. It gets harder each time to bite my tongue when I get snide comments every time I'm in this particular guy's presence.

I went this week and pulled all my mounts out of a store that is less than 100 yards from the front door of my shop because this guy hangs out there all day, every day bad mouthing me and my work to anyone who will listen. He also was trying to convince the store's customers that he mounted every piece that is in the store when all my pieces have my name on them where it can be seen.

You did the right thing by not confronting the guy. I hope I can contiinue to do the same thing.

BTW, I have 2 other store that want my work displayed in their stores as soon as I can get it delivered. One of them is the top gun store in my area and the other is a Gander Mountain store.

I feel that if you put out quality work in a reasonable time period, the customers will see thru the other guy. My customers also know if they need to find me they can come by my studio rather than the local greasy spoon or sporting goods store. Wonder why it takes 2+ years for the other guy to get his work out?

10. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I'm humbled that there are still people with class like you displayed out there. It's easy to be an ass, but it takes a real concerted effort to do what you did. I think you acted exceptionally well.

11. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I agree.

Guess what? Guys that bad mouth, pitch cards, undercut etc. never succeed. At least in my area. the only guys able to stay in business for more than a few years are the guys who are the up and up.......they worry about WHAT THEY DO, not what everyone else is doing.

12. 22Fathoms

22Fathoms New Member

Utah
    Thanks everyone for the nice words. I did not handle it with class as much as I didn't handle it at all, but oh well, I feel better about it now. Thanks

13. Don Z

Don Z Taxidermist,bowhunter, trapper,family man.

Ohio
    Throwing away someone elses cards...now that is just plain low!! I often wonder when I go to check mine and they are empty??????????????

14. KevinH

KevinH Active Member

Yea I have some of my cards at the local Gander Mt. One time I went in there and was looking for mine and saw another taxidermists cards, Mine were under his. Not as bad aas throwing them away, but he still just covered them up, so I did it right back to him. I guess he kinda got my point cuz the last time I went there they were out were you could see them.

15. SWolk

SWolk Give it your best shot

A few years ago, I had a local guy starting up a new business. He took one of my cards to a printer. He replaced my name with his name, replaced my address and phone number with his, but was using my business name, my logo, my slogan, and the same color cards. He then proceeded to put them in places where I was already advertising. That will really bring up the blood pressure!

16. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

That's even dumber than copy and pasting pics of mounts out of taxidermy catalogs and putting them on a taxidermy website! Honest to God I saw some Rinehart mounts on someone's website once that were being passed off as their own. Not sure if it's there still as I don't remember who it was and what state.

Man some people have no brains!