1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Casting a Muskie head question !

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by wildwings, Jul 15, 2008.

1. wildwings

wildwings New Member

Any how I got a 52"-54" Muskie in the other day and I am thinking of trying to cast my first head. Any how I was looking back at the method used by Gary Bruch on casting a small mouth head in Break Through. The only thing I am worried about is going to be the mouth plug getting caught on the teeth. The customer wants it open of course chasing a couple bait fish. Any help on this one or should I just buy a pre-made head and put the casting off for my comp piece.

Ps. is it Musky or Muskie ???

2. That may get tricky
    I would bet it will get caught up, but you should be able to flex it loose.
    That said It will depend on what you make the mouth plug out of.

Gary Uses Latex, I Use Latex but have been trying new things and have had good results with Hot glue.

It should be ok as long as you dont try to cast the mouth and the head at the same time.
    There are ways around that but the mold making gets very tricky

3. wildwings

wildwings New Member

See I am thinking of 2 ways of doing it but im kinda scared to try on my first fish. The one way I was thinking is casting the mouth piece with latex. Then after I cast the head in bondo I should beable to remove the head and open the mouth wide enough to get the plug out. After this I only need 1 head so after casting the head taking a scaple and remove chunk by chunk of the rubber til it smashes down enough to remove the rest of the plug. Other idea is take dremel or knife and cut right under the lip and seperate the mouth from the head then epoxie back when I remove the plug. I dont know what the heck to do I never done it before everything I have is ideas any how its time for bed I will sleep on it.

4. I can walk you through it tomorrow, perhaps I can find some pics as well.
    I think a Plaster or silicone mold of the mouth and a hot glue mouth plug is right up your alley here.

I need to mold a Walleye head, and a Trout head and do this as well. Perhaps I can take some photos. What is your time line here?

5. "It should be ok as long as you dont try to cast the mouth and the head at the same time.
    There are ways around that but the mold making gets very tricky "

Josh,
    I have molded and cast the entire head on several Brook trout this year with no problem. It works great !
    Now I have not molded any Muskie heads, so I can't say for sure if the teeth will be a problem. But they were not on the Brook trout that I cast using a one piece cup mold.

6. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Josh--I do not use latex mouth plugs in my fish heads--I use bondo. Latex is only used by me in commercial replicas (whole fish).

Wildwings---there are some difficulties with the musky/pike heads that involve the size and weight of both the head and the materials used.

7. Oh my mistake Gary.
    I would think the issue with the musky and pike head, aside from the size is going to be those tooth patches.
    Its like velcro, and would I would think cause a horrible issue in removing the silicone plug from the resin casting.
    On a trout or even a walleye I dont think it would be that bad. Hard to say.

8. mk

mk -30 below

IL
    if you try it i would recommend grinding the teeth off before molding the mouth plug otherwise you would either destroy your mouthplug or wont beable to get it out after you cast it. the bigger teeth you could cut off and keep to glue to the artificial head later and the teeth patches on the roof of the mouth you could make.

9. I have had no problems molding or casting the whole head, (outside and mouth interior), on Trout. If it were me I would do the same with a Musky head. Perhaps removing some of the larger teeth, and supporting the head underside with styrofoam or carving foam, when it is seated in the cup to pour the mold.
    Pictures below are from a Tiger Trout head mold.

10. The one piece cup mold from the Tiger Trout.

11. The cast head from the Tiger Trout mold.

12. This is a pic of the Tiger Trout head before I pour the mold.

13. As best that I can show it, you can see the mouth Interior, cast in one piece.
    As I mentioned I never remove the teeth on a trout. If you are using a flexible mold material and you remove
    some of the larger teeth, and support the head adequately, I think you would be ok !

14. for your first head cast i would start out on a trout... or something a little easier..
    not a big muskie...
    also i would use the real head for a muskie mount.

15. wildwings

wildwings New Member

I have been debating on using the real head. I have done a few 40+ pike with real heads never had a problem. Also it seems like the only meat part of this musky's head is the front lip. Any how thanks I will start casting my own stuff with small stuff and work up.

16. crankin

crankin New Member

WI
    that whole lower jaw has a lot of meat in it.

17. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Definately....more than the cheek many times. I go through the underside of the jaw to get at it. There are 2 pieces that need removed running along the inside of the lower jaw....just under the teeth.

18. den007

den007 Active Member

Coating the upper palate teeth with mache and then a release like vaseline might facilitate you attempt. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to replicate those upper palate teeth. Used to be a guy who did...as in molded with some kind of centrifugal or vacuum mold to get every individual tooth. Tried silicone moding an upper palate and molding my own teeth.....did not work.

Only Lake Country Replica, as far as I know, does a good job on these.

Almost all replica heads besides theirs need the old "bondo pull" stalactite tooth method, and it is not all that realistic.