1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Which fin cream to buy???

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Taxidermydude017, Jul 15, 2008.

1. I mounted a crappie a couple days ago and the tail is super frayed. I want to buy some kind of split fin repair stuff, so what kind is the best? I normally use fin backing tape, but this seens too bad for just the tape

2. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I like tuff fin and a lens tissue

3. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

I meant to add... I have used mod podge with good results ...and I have used sobe glue. The sobe glue fins are the only ones I have ever had problems with.... the paint cracked.....I seal all fins with sealler first regardless what glue I use...my tuff fin is almost gone and when it is I wont buy more..I seldom use real fins and when I do I will just use mod podge...easy to get

4. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

I have tried them all and I always return to Tuff Fin.

A vert thin layer is all that is really needed to make a nice looking fin with it. Use Silkspan for repairs.

If the fin damage is VERY bad after repairing with the Tuff Fin and SP I fill in the bad area with epoxy and model in the missing rays.

5. I like tuff fin myself, but perfer to use, used dryer sheets for backing when I need it.

6. I use the tuff fin and the dryer sheets for backing.