1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Zebra

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by HammerRhed, Jul 16, 2008.

1. HammerRhed

HammerRhed New Member

I had a guy stop in today and asked me if I appraise skins. He proceed to tell me that he has a zebra skin that was givin to him when he was a baby, back in 66'. Hmmm, What did they tan it with? He had no clue. He also told me that the legs were cut off and there was a few slip spots and some holes. I guess it was made into a rug. He didn't have it with him.
    My question, what would somethin like that be worth? I wasn't sure, cause Zebra'a aren't as plentiful here in the states and it's not like I have seen one except in a zoo. I'm not sure if he was looking into a price to sell it or just insure it.
    What's it worth?

2. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

Not a whole lot, if it isn't already made into a rug. With something that old, there would not likely be any chance of dong anything with it today. To rehydrate something that old would most likely turn it to mush. If it's a rug....somewhere around $200 to, maybe $500 if it's in great shape.

3. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

there are some Zebras are on a ranch near me.. They are a novelty "horse" to some.. And they are also being crossed with horses to produce a Zorse.. Foals come out with some cool looking striped usually about the legs and flanks.
    Ive even seen them at open horse shows, which is kinda funny cuz alot of horses tend to freak when they see all them stripes LOL..

4. HammerRhed

HammerRhed New Member

That's what I told him, about $500. also for insurance purposes it would be more, cause you just don't go out in your backyard and see a herd of zebra's feedin on your prize tomatoe plants.
    I never worked on a zebra, just an African lion. How thick is their hide/skin? Is it possible to DP it?