1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dawn and ammonia?

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by staffs-skeletons, Jul 17, 2008.

1. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

UK
    Quick question.

Can you mix dawn (washing up liquid over here) with ammonia for better degreasing.
    Also, if you can do this, is it safe to heat because I know dawn and water degrease better when its warm. Can you still heat if you add ammonia?

2. umm i mixed the two together without any problems and i heated it to about 30 degress for 3 weeks with no problems

3. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

Yes i mix them all of the time. No problems!!!

Go for it!!!

4. SS, yes you can, i mix about a cup of dawn, and a hlf gal of amonia, to about 15 gal water then heat to bout 120-150deg, works great!!

5. yes.............mix them up and heat as you please.

You dont have to water it down if you dotn want I like as much of it to be ammonia as possible so useually i dont add any water to it.

6. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

UK
    Okay, ill give it a blast.

I would use lots more ammonia but Its pretty expensive here. Cant buy household ammonia anywhere locally so I have to get it from a local chemical factory.

Thanks guys.

7. Do you have a walmart, its bout a dollar per hlf gal. I'm looking into buying it in bulk from my chemical co. it is 27%, and a 30gal barrel is $80, ,lots cheaper.

8. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Um. Northern. Small question. 30 gallons is 60 half gallons right? And if it's a dollar for a half gallon, that's $60.00. Could you please explain how $80 is cheaper than $60? What am I missing?

9. ammonia?

Hi Lisa
    I think the ammonia from wall Mart is a 3% solution---That's the same strength I get at the local A&P-- and I pay $1.69/gal--- the ammonia that Northern is talking about is a 27% solution--- the 27% ammonia can be cut 50/50 twice and produce 4gal of 6.5% ammonia---or after a 3rd cut--8gal of 3.25%--- (Hmmmm I think i did the math correctly) --- that is what makes it a better deal economically--- If he cuts hes 30gal purchase twice-- he gets 60gal on the first cut (at a strength of 13.5
    %) and after a second cut he would have 120gal of the 6.5% solution--double the strength of the WMart or A&P stuff--- That would make the 120gal cost approx $.67/gal---

ORG

10. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Ohhhhhhhhh Okay...NOW I get it. ;) I knew I was missing something! Thank you ORG!

11. Thanks old ret guy, i forgot to add that part!! :-[

12. cleanign supply stores have it as well..... dont be affraid to buy stronger solutions and water it down it will save you cash if you have a place fairly local to buy it from.

but most of the time i use $1 per bottle dollar general stuff..... you dotn have to completely dispose of it after each degrease it can be re-used to an extent just like peroxide.