1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Submerging Skulls

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by lookn4awhitetail, Jul 17, 2008.

1. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

I got a floater Big Bear Skull, and its stinking up my whole two and a half acres. So I need to know some ideas on keeping it submerged. Its Macerating in a trough now, and boy does it stink.

This is my first bear skull and the water in just two days now is worse than anything I have ever macerated. definitely alot a junk in it.

2. bonez

bonez New Member

PA
    use a 5 gal. bucket with a lid

3. lookn4awhitetail

lookn4awhitetail "I shoot a Mathews, cause I dont wanna Hoyt them"

Thanks Will make that happen tommorow, Any volunteers on coming over and fishing him out of the trough.....

4. bulldog4949

bulldog4949 "Mounting your Memories"

yea but i think it helps BIG TIME on degreasing!!

Makes it shorter!!!

5. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Maceration isn't so bad...of course I have no sense of smell...but I still think y'all are exaggerating. So is my husband, and my kids, and my Dad and my one neighbor that came over when I was changing the water...y'all just have too much nasal power! ;D :D

All kidding aside, change 3/4 of your water every 4-5 days. Need to leave some of the water in so the bacteria won't have to start over from just a few. Changing the water cuts down on the smell a LOT, or so I'm told because I can't smell ANY of it anyway. ::) ;)

6. Hey WT
    if you don't have a 5gal bucket-- put a piece of plywood overthe skull and sit a brick on it-- after a couple of days it will stay under water w/o out the board and brick---

Lisa-- I too have little ability to smell these odors-- I currently have 3 bears, 1 coyote and a wild pig in a large plastic storage container w/ two aquarium heaters to macerate-- stench (so I am told) is just plain awful--- maggots and flies floating on top at the moment--- I plan on changing the water later today-- as you say--- should help a lot---
    ORG

7. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Cinder block on top of it will do the trick.

8. mahatma

mahatma Vertex

Texas
    Just on a thought I have been thinking I would try. Buy a plastic trash can with a lid from WalMart. Weight the head down in the can with something heavy like a brick. They secure you the lid with duct tapes. Poke a small hole in the lid and run a small tube that is siliconed air tight to the lid. If they tube had some length you could run it out away from things going with the wind. On the changing water you could untape the lid and wash it out, or build a drain and a filler hole..

I have also looked at 30 gallon plastic cans herbicide in sold in. You could load them up and haul them somewhere remote to dump the water when it is dirty. I think I will build one and post it.

9. I got some kinda bacteria that grows in one of my 4 maceration vats that will literally clean a sheep skeleton in DAYS not weeks. I thru a complete Adult Icelandic Ewe skeleton in it on Thursday and checked it today and it already has about 1/4 of the skeleton down to 100% clean bones. I had the back end of a buffalo calf in it about a week ago and it was totally cleaned in about 8 days. While the vat next to it has had the same skulls in it since may and they still aren't clean. Now if only I could bottle that.

As for the smell, Cover it. I just cover mine with a sheet of Black plastic and weight it around the edge. This soaks up and holds the heat while keeping the smell contained. To keep the skull underwater take a laundry basket type plastic tub(one of the woven type ones, Turn it upside down and put a brick on that. It will hold the whole works down without restricting the movement of water.

10. RDH

RDH New Member

Try taking the brains out if you haven't & it might sink then

11. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Dang cool idea PL. ;) Thanks for sharing. Have you tried totally cleaning out your not so good bacteria & repopulating with the really good ones?

12. Yea I am gonna clean the one tub out, its gone from bacteria rich to some sort of algae cause the top got left off for a couple weeks while I was trying to get the horns off two buffalo and a Longhorn. So I think I will clean it, rinse the bones and seed the clean water with the really good bateria.