1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Carcass cast mount

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by smith, Sep 10, 2006.

1. smith

smith New Member

I carcass cast this young porcupine, sculpted molded and cast the head and wrapped the legs. I would appreciate any pointers on what to change next time. Thanks

2. smith

smith New Member

one more pic

3. Overall your porcupine looks pretty good. There is something about the nose/front lip area that bothers me. I don't think you set the teeth at the right angle as the whole animal looks bucktoothed. They do show their upper front teeth, but not too that extend. Go back and look at some good reference photos of the face, and I think you'll see what I mean. If you google porcupine pictures you will get to look at some good pictures. Also I think the eyes should be set just a tad deeper. Other then that I do like your mount. :)

4. Jim B

Jim B Active Member

I think it's awesome that you made your own form.That's a great tool to have in your arsenal.keep up the good work.

5. Overall, beautiful job...the mouth is slightly irregular around the teeth and the eyes look either a little sunken or too close to the front or something...odd i can't put it exactly but the expression on the eyes is different...

6. Dean

Dean New Member

eye angle, no definition around the eyes like eye brows , shape etc. It looks like clay was put on the form and eyes stuck in causing them to bulge out. They are bulkging out and not sunk in like one post mentioned. Toes would be ok but needed clay needed to be worked on to give the toe to foot transition more definition. They are also to spread out and claws extended out to much. The claws need to be retracted in some. even though they are hoding on to the tree they don't come out that far. Nose and lips need more attention. study the reference. You have to much of the inner nostril showing on the outside. look at how the nasel area goes in on the reference. Most rodents will have a simular shape to them to use as reference. Over all great learning experience to tackle a carcasss cast and doing everthing on your own. Over all good body shape and position. Pay close attention to details and you will have it nailed. Good job over all and keep up the good work. We never quit learning. Good luck

7. smith

smith New Member

Thanks for all the comments. It looks like I will have to find some good reference.