1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

making fish eyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by bassbuster, Jul 20, 2008.

1. I'm back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Denny....
    you mean that all I have to do is supply them with a magic marker ?
    No airbruhing an inverted pupil ?
    Hot Dang !

Can I use a Crayon ?...I can't find a magic Marker ! ?

Buck....

2. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

Hey Josh get a life- he he (or a job!). How the heck did you do that???
    Buck: those are pretty eyes and I hope you do well with them, but honestly, they are the same, old, tired eyes that hit the market back when guys were wrapping excelsior bird bodies. Do you remember our conversation? I said that what I wanted (for what it's worth) is an eye that has a full sclera and I can paint the pupil to any shape. Painting a pupil takes like 10 seconds- I'm not going to order each pair of eyes and hope you you guys custom paint it correctly. Every one of these big kings have a different shape. I wish you would have done what you said you were going to do, which was listen to the customers and quickly come out with something that we asked for, but now, like two years later and here is an eye like all the (Yawn) others.

3. The issue with Depth is easy
    I have yet to see an eye on the market with a correct depth for an eye.
    and I have seen them ALL!

Nobody has gotten it right, but looking at Jeff's new lenses I am thinking he may have it.

Why over build the depth?? Are we not supposed to reproduce what exists??
    Why not examine the real thing and copy that?? this constant perfecting the glass eye is foolish and needs to stop. time to tear it down and start over. and thats is what i see in the lenses.

Here is a little drawing of what we need in an eye.
    [​IMG]

Se the Iris, its not convex but concaved slightly. If this is replicated painting an eye isnt hard at all. if fact once you paint on a surface like that you will understand WHY the pattern is what it is.

Reproducing a physical Black lens as a bump in the eye is not accurate at all. The lens is clear. and when a fish is viewed the clear lens is almost unnoticeable.

The goal shouldn't be for speed, but for accuracy. If its taking you too long to paint an accurate eye then charge a bit more.
    I have seen more beautiful mounts ruined by the use of a commercial eye. we really need improvement in this area.

4. Dave I am waiting for resin to cure. lol so I got a bit of time.

and I am slacking off.

5. BLAAAA BLAAA BLAAA !
    Josh, the guy like tells ya to paint the pupil in with a Magic Marker ?

Okee ! Dokie !

Buck....

6. Ok Buck

I rarely say things like this, but

You act like a Moron and the very concept that you are running a business that caters to fellow taxidermists is unreal to me considering your behavior.
    You act like a teenager and are completely disrespectful to your customer base.

If you created an eye that painted itself, an eye that even God himself could not distinguish from one of his creations. An eye so reasonably priced that you would be a fool to not use it.
    I would still never consider doing any sort of business with you, due to your complete lack of respect to your potential customers.
    that said I dont think you have created such an eye.

Sigh.........

I hate saying this but its how I feel, and I know I am not alone

~Josh

7. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Josh your drawings are correct and that is how I drew them in the CAD program, that is what my patent is all about.

I did not suggest to anyone to paint a pupil with a magic marker. I recommended a "Painters Pen" by Elmer's, with acrylic paint in it for the job. My name is Jeff Lumsden, Buck. I wish you success with your fish eyes, some of us need something more than what has been peddled for the last 40 years.

Jeff

8. Cool beans Jeff, I cant wait to try them.

9. den007

den007 Active Member

The long wait.........well, we anticipated rising costs, poor economy, and decided to gear up in acrylic. I have been listening to the pupil shape comments, etc. and relaying the information to Germany. I will have some better pics in a day or 2. These are not the same old same old. If you wanted a heart shaped pupil, in any eye contour your could come up with, we can put that together. You will not have to draw it in. As for coloration........they will come with the pre-prepped mottling so you don't have to screw with that. These are accurately designed and tooled to be something more than a thin plastic bowl.

For the top end competitors, glass will be available as well.......paint to whatever specs you like, or get 'em pre painted. With the cost of glass and sinking value of the US dollar, they will not be cheap, but certainly competitive with the $11 per pair asked by the other maker of glass eyes. These tournament grade glass eyes will always be available for those who choose this medium.

You will be able to shop and compare on the internet in a few weeks.

Any contour, any pupil, anytime.

The real forms.....they exist! Here is a pic.

The eyes........here is a painted one. they will come available for you to paint as well......no magic marker needed!

Jeff......I have learned much from you, and totally respect you as an artist and person. I just feel folks will have to make up their own minds on some tweaking tht has been years in the making, but is finally done. I have dug in about as many fish eyes as anyone else, and to me, an eye with some depth is just pleasing to look at.

10. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

I would shoot for both speed and accuracy....but thats just little old me .

All the eyes look nice, and I think there is a market for both- eh ?

Josh, Wtih your knowledge of anatomy, YOU should come out with a line of eyes ;) .

11. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

"pre-prepped mottling "

Dennis that is the funnest part of all and what makes every eye I try and paint so different...I can copy one from side to side or do a series of 5 and match pairs, but no two or ever the same and I love doing that part...

I too think buck has shot hiself in the foot...I ran my mouth off a couple years ago( ithink he has me beat???) and can't buy replicas from a couple people I would love to buy from because they were friends with the person I had a conflict of sorts with. And thats on top of that person telling me we're cool now... I just think Your customer base will not be what you think it will be and for Buck to come in here and try to degrade Jeff's eyes or methods are yet another straw that broke the camels back

12. den007

den007 Active Member

Thank you Aaron! I am going to bed now. Way too much phone time today and on this damn computer. Just want to say that I am as capable of making an honest evaluation of anything, and a few folks trust me to do that.

These eyes ARE different than anything else out there. Don't know how some can say "same old same old." They are not!

Pupils, gold ring, and mottling all in place as you buy these. Depth and refractive index make a pleasing artistic statement. Time for you to paint, a few seconds. It will take longer for the paint to dry.

For taxidermists that are looking for quality and speed, I firmly believe this will be the answer. Not all taxidmists live on this forum, nor do they care whom they are buying from. They do not all compete. For those that do, the tournament grade glass version will always be available, at cost, but not out of line with top end glass eyes out there now that many still whine about.

As for depth.......I don't see how you can get any more accurate than freezing an eye, dissecting it, and laser scanning each component.

For all of you who complained about the Rinehart eye, which lacks depth, how come all the hoo-ha about these others, which to me look like an unpainted version of the ones so many criticized for coloration, lack of depth, etc. and because he has a centerfold in his magazine. Is this the fraternity of "good 'ol boys" who can only pander to other members? At least Dan made an effort to tweak colors and offer some alternatives. If they had a bit more depth, I would be buying them in bulk.

Let's hear all the naysayers after you see a few of these painted and displayed. And oh yes, they look better in real life than any picture can convey.

Just healthy competition....is that not the alternative many of you say you have been waiting for?

Don't we all buy oil from Iran? C'mon.......you won't have to deal with personal issues. Just me!

13. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Good luck Dennis I wish you all the best I really do, but your counter part is..... well we'll see

14. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I bought 12 pairs

I bought 12 pairs of Jeff's new eye blanks at the NTA in Lubbock.

That sort of sums it up - 'nuff said.

Kerby...

15. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

Buck, don't be a sore loser. You got schooled, man-up about it. For God's sake, look what you just wrote. Instead of telling us the good parts about your eye, you and Den are both disrespecting Jeff and his great product, saying they "look like alot of work" or something about a magic marker, when NO ONE EVER SAID TO USE A MAGIC MARKER. You're way to little, way too late. I am with Josh and everyone else on this one: I will never know what your eyes look like. I would gladly buy anything from den, but Buck, the way you conduct yourself is just sad. I wish you the best of luck.
    Dave

16. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

I agree

Even if Buck produced any eyes (not available-still) I wouldn't possess them even if they were given to me.

Buck, you can't go around acting the fool and then expect people to buy your products.

You disappear for months and then come back acting like this?? And nobody wants your eyes? LOL

Kerby...

17. Harum

Harum Active Member

Josh, The eyes are looking good!

The first time I created my own eyes was for the last World show. I made them out of various resins and they didn't take all that much time nor did they seem very difficult. The accomplishment was very satisfying. I have made a few other species since and rather enjoy the process. To me the eyes are the most critical aspect to a realistic representation of a fish and creating them myself is very rewarding.

Jeff Lumsden's latest offering is an excellent option to creating your own. They are a snap and enjoyable to paint. His lenses are thin and include enough area to incorporate the sclera band. Your depth is created in part by the surface area that the inside of Jeff's lenses exhibit. When you paint this surface the light is reflected in the proper direction and in turn creates depth.

I posted this picture a while back on TWIFP. It is a Rock Bass eye I painted using one of Jeff's lenses.

-Pete

18. LarryL

LarryL Member

Jeff, glad you finally got them out, they will be used by people who finally want to make a difference in their fish work. As for the other's that will be available shortly or in the next year or two ::) ( I remember a time when they listed B.F.E. eyes in a catalog but you could not get them) we did not hear a word until yours where announced that they would be at the NTA show in Texas, well it looks like someone just wants to let us all know how much better their product is and at three times the cost ouch!!! I have two eyes (and they both work) and I can tell you there is no comparison and I don't even have to use my crayons, I got these big chalk sticks and I can make them look better than those glass ones.
    I guess I ranted enough but I have read enough over the years and its the same thing comming soon, I know how long Jeff's eyes where in the making and you did not here anything until you could get them.
    Larry

19. Harum

Harum Active Member

Here is a picture of that World show piece.

20. Well I see some things never change on here.....Bucks eyes are on the way .......Again.

I was intereted in them and wanted to use them last year and over and over was told just and little longer. I waited a little longer till Tohicons 137's....bought 10 pr at the WV show in April ( which had to be shipped to me as they had none at the show) and got them 6 weeks later.

I, for one am sick of hearing about Black Forest eyes ... sell'em to the Germans.

Jeff, I look forward to trying your lenses and if the tutorial is as easy as it looks I doubt I will ever use anything else.

Thanks Ken for posting the tutorial and thanks Jeff for developing a product you can actually buy.