1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

making fish eyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by bassbuster, Jul 20, 2008.

1. i look foward to painting some up...i hope they come in all sizes and dont skip mm's
    like all the eyes on the market do.. just about every perch i have mounted could use a 11mm not a 10 or 12...

"Reproducing a physical Black lens as a bump in the eye is not accurate at all. The lens is clear. and when a fish is viewed the clear lens is almost unnoticeable"
    here are a few pics..

2. another

3. lens

4. Good pics
    the lens is there but its clear, and its only visible when the fish is viewed in the water.

Now if we could find a way to show the Lens as clear, that would be neat.
    But very hard to do
    I have had limited success using two types of resin one for a lens and the other for the eye itself.
    This is what I did on my walleye eye.

Sorry den another animation

[​IMG]

I made the lens as a clear acrylic sphere and added some silver filings to clear lacquer, this was painted on the back of the lens and allowed to drip onto the back.
    This loosely replicated the reflective nature of the cells deep in the eye.
    It was only visible from straight on the eye, when light hits it directly.

5. I have a bunch of Jeff's eyes on the way from WASCO and I can't wait to play around with them. It's what I've been seeking for a long time. Finally pupil flexibility. Thanks Jeff.

6. Harum

Harum Active Member

I played around last night after work and painted up one of Jeff's lenses as a Pike. These are fun to paint. Nice reference pictures Fishstuffer.

7. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Pete! You've said it all, How cool is that! Awesome.....If that doesn't fire you up, you are at the wrong party!

Now that things have settled down a bit, I'd like to thank everyone (especially Pete) for their enthusiasm and support for this new product.

A number of you have asked me about odd sizes and ordering the right size. They were designed with a patented pupil and iris shelf for a specific size (10mm-18mm), so ordering will be the same (based on your iris size). However, the base of the lens is larger for your sclera capsule. As described in Step 5 you can use any “intended” size lens and apply a slightly smaller (odd sized) cornea mask to achieve those in between sizes easily. To use a larger mask than intended will not give you the results you want.

There is a number of ways to paint pupil's but I strongly recommend going to your local arts and crafts store and buying the Elmer's ultra fine tip Painters Pen and give it a try as well. Measure your pupil and outline it's shape.

I know that this product is a brand new concept, and that for a lot of people this looks intimidating. But I assure you that it will be rewarding and liberating. You won't look at fish eyes the same way any longer.

Jeff

8. Chad See

Chad See Certified "Fish Head"

Harum, I would love to see you do a tutorial on painting fish eyes. Maybe you could put something together?! I never can seem to get the degree of realism that I see you achieve time after time. Great looking work! Also, Jeff, can't wait to try out the new eyes, they sure look good to me!

9. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Hey I second that...come on Harum do it do it.... :D

10. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

Jeff, I really look forward to trying these eyes. Everything you have introduced has made a huge improvement in fish taxidermy and your contributions will redefine the art as we know it. I am sure I speak for everyone (well, ok, with a couple of exceptions), when I say thankyou.

11. michael p.

michael p. Getting better with age :)

Thank gawd Bucks mammal eyes are so pitiful that he will never be shown an ounce of legitimacy in the mammal side of our industry.

What a shame all you fish guys have such wonderful & respectful artists in your field of artistry only to have a Michael Buck Rodgers come along and muddy up the excellence.

This is Mr. Wonderful's claim to fame in the eye making industry on the mammal side of this industry. The eyes shown were at first claimed by Buck to be deer eyes, then when everybody said [edit] is that he changed his tune and said they were red African eyes ::) ::) To this day nobody has been able to figure out what the hell they really are! :p

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This here is 3 examples of his hog eyes next to one Tohikon eye

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, but you fish guys can have him & his eyes, nobody else does!

BTW Buck, did you ever pay TERF that money you collected for them but never paid.....I didn't think so!

Never forget what the pretty girl's say..........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Even the Mexicans are thinking............

[​IMG]

12. Russ of V.O.W.T

Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

Jeff, i saw your eyes at the WASCO booth in Lubbock, and all i can say is congratulations on a new product that will change the fish market for many taxidermists all over this great planet. Truly thanks for your efforts in developing said product, it will do well, and in fact appears it already is. Nevermind what numbnut for the black forest says, he never counted anyway. ;)

13. Jeff Lumsden

Thanks every one again! Monty, Wow, and Russ don't worry, Buck who? O.K Michael, Let's see those pretty girls (after a they've finished their beer) holding a sign that says Still Life eyes rock!

Jeff

14. Pete, that's what a fish eye is supposed to look like. Awesome! Some of the top guys say painting your own isn't necessary, but, we spend all this time painting each scale. The eyes are as important or more. It's just satisfying to me seeing a properly painted and shaped eye. Perfection isn't possible, but it's a worthy goal.

15. Jeff Lumsden

Well said Kevin!

16. Words to live by!

17. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

So Jeff,...........

How about making some reptile eyes - PLEASE!

:)

Kerby...

18. Jeff Lumsden

Kerby-

Give me some time to recoup my investments first with fish eyes!!!

19. Harum

Harum Active Member

Glad you liked the paint job Jeff.

Kevin, Always reaching for that unachievable goal is what keeps me driven to better myself with each piece. Thanks for the compliment. I look forward to seeing what you can do with Jeff's lenses.

Chad, Joey, I spent about 20 to 30 min painting that Pike eye. If I create a tutorial it will take conciderably more time. I'm not sure I can fit it in at this time but I will keep it in mind and see what I can do.

-Pete

20. Harum if you don't mind, I would be interested in what product you used to make your eyes, I would like trying it just to see if I can accomplish it. I just orderd today 8 pairs of Jeff's eyes from WASCO. But in competitions I want to make everything I can, if I can. rw