1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

making fish eyes

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by bassbuster, Jul 20, 2008.

1. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Well I have learned a LOT about eyes from this thread. I want to thank you guys for sharing the info.
    And MP I will listen to what the beauties in your post have to say about black forest eyes but he already showed how professional he is. I would use marbles before I would eyes buy from him.

2. jeff the eyes look great,

Harum, that pike eye looks awesome, i can't wait to paint up a few steelie and salmon eyes

3. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

I have had some conversations with some of you about getting started painting your fish eyes. I reccomend ordering some extra 18mm's to experiment with. They are all priced the same for you, so start with the largest size that will be easiest. Print out my rainbow tutorial and step in and get your feet wet.

It would be great if we could have a thread where we could all get a look at what everyone is doing and a place to learn, maybe even post macros of living fish eyes like Steve S. aka fishstuffer has already done.

Jeff

4. an Eye Close up thread is a great Idea.
    I will dig through my pics and see what I can find.

5. I was actyually asking about making the eye myself not painting them still got some good tips and alot of good info thanks

6. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Boy did you ever get a topic started...LOL

7. Harum

Harum Active Member

RW, I'm using a clear polyester based casting resin for the bulk of the eyes. The brand I use is Tap Plastics. I'm sure you could find others in your area that make the same thing. Here is a link to what I use: http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=75& WASCO also sells a product called "Polytranspar Artificial Water" and I believe it is also a polyester based product since MEKIP is used as the catalyst. Best of luck with your eyes and also with yours bassbuster.

8. den007

den007 Active Member

I would like to apologize for trying again to referee whatever is going on here. Especially to you, Jeff. I don't think I came off too harshly in anything I said. I have assisted in developing the eyes Buck manufactures, and tried to make things easy and fun for those who want to experiment. There is some pride here. Pepsi and Coca-cola are both popular brands.........to each his own. Since I have not closely examined Jeff's eyes, I admit to not being in a position to evaluate them for my own use or anyone else's. I will order some and try them out. I do know what I am dealing with on my end, and have received favorable comments from all who have tried them. Just not many postings on the forum. That disappoints me.....since I sent them free to a number of talented taxidermists.

Granted, I am not nor will I ever be a world champion in fish taxidermy, nor do I have the time to detail each and every eye. For those that prefer this, there are options all over the place. I am told that in some competitions, if you do not paint your own eye and use a commercial eye, you get deductions. New trend?

Fishstuffer, your eye pics show remarkable clarity and detail. They also illustrate depth. The pupils in eyes I will be offering can be left clear and darkened from behind with a number of techniques. Does this look at all familiar to Fishstuffer's eyes?

Let's let this all rest. Apologies extended to anyone who might have taken my comments the wrong way. I know darn well nobody is getting rich off of selling fish eyes. I do think many will be impressed with what has taken many twists and turns in tweaking.

I am not saying any of this to sell eyes. Some will never buy anything associated with Buck. Many will give them an honest run for the money and make up their own minds. This venture is not my life. It is an honest attempt to provide an alternative to fish taxidermists that I am very proud of having a hand in developing.

9. A- Fish

A- Fish Stehling's Taxidermy

If and when the eyes come out Dennis, I will certainly buy some. I have no idea whats going on with " Buck ", but Dennis was good enough to send us some samples of his eyes, and they do look nice, and they are well made.

I will also most certainly be using the Lumsden eyes in our steelhead and salmon.

10. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Dennis I can't comment for all other judges but when I judge I don't deduct points for not painting your own eyes and brand choice really doesn't matter to me either.
    Set, union to head, size are where most problems are occuring. I will tell you I give kudos and perhaps a bonus point to those that do go above and beyond the norm and make/paint there own eyes accurately.

I am not sure whom you sent samples. I know I got a pair and I did comment directly to buck.

11. Joey Arender

Dennis when it comes right down to it I didn't really see(read, remember) anything you said that was bad...just came in telling of that product that is one day coming. Nothing wrong with that( other then it's tired) but Buck on the other hand with his "Magic Marker" comments and everything else is a POS.. Buck only came in to put down Jeff's eyes and or techniques...Buck has a completely different product then Jeff IMO, if I am seeing and reading right, so why the need to put down......

But hey I when It comes down to it those eyes of bucks really do nothing for me...maybe it was the hype in which they have been introduced...or maybe the amount of time it is/has taken, or just the fact that I like trying to paint them.. I will never be a world champion either, nor will I ever be a judge but I Know what I see and I know what I like....I just don't like bucks eyes Best of luck though to you

12. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

What Joey? You don't think he acts like a professional? Okie Dokie!

13. Joey Arender

Cole you miss read that.... I think Dennis is a good guy, Not buck...IMO Dennis never did anything.......sorry dude if you go to my second sentence you will see what I said...Okie dokie

14. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

No, I understood you fine. I don't know Dennis but from what I gather reading these forums he seems to be a good guy, willing to help others, and a good fish taxidermist. I meant "Buck" was the un-professional one. I was replying to:
    Forums are tricky, easy to misunderstand each other. That's okay, everything is still Okie Dokie! lol

15. Yeah! I think I'm misunderstood ALOT on here!!..LOL! Must be in the interpretation of my posts.
    Electronics does NOTHING for translation of wry humor. Oh well....no lost sleep.

16. Taxi-lover

Taxi-lover Active Member

Don't know about anything else,but have to say that Josh and Harum do CAN paint a DAMN NICE LOOKING eye's....!!!!! Incredible and inspiring!!!

17. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Taxi lover,

Yes they can! If there is any one who has a question or if I can help them in any way feel free to contact me with a PM, email or a phone call.

Would love to talk with you,

Jeff

18. have been searching for this for a while so just want to bump it up so i can find it..
    messing with some eyes...

19. Glad you did fishstuffer it's some good read. I've been messing with some eyes also. Infact I'm heading out to my shop in a few to paint some or at least practice on some.