1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Newspaper Ads for fish

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by whitetailexpressions, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Just wanted some opinions from around the country. I am an up and coming taxidermist and I ran an ad in a local free classified paper. Didn't get the first phone call from it. Now I am running another in the actual local newspaper that hits about 72,000 people so hopefully fish business will pick up. Just wondering if anyone else used or uses the newspaper ad to get the word out. Or maybe one of you guys/gals has some better advertising advice for a newbie. If you have used a paper ad what was your success rate? Thanks for all responses

2. unc

unc Member

You might be able to display some of your work at some cafe's or restaurants by some body's of water close to you that people fish alot. Any kind of sporting goods store. Good luck

3. Sikk

Sikk Member

When I first started I advertised in the local paper, Sept-Dec, weekly, with a coupon worth $25 off, I got one coupon back. For me, paper advetising is not worth the $.
    I put my time into displays, but word of mouth and customer satisfaction are your best money. paul

4. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

save your money..you will get more phone calls then anything. I tried it when I was doing mammals during deer season and got more calls for a deer, squirrel and a bobcat then any other and several was for all three...other taxidermist checking price I guess... I had one mount each time I ran the ad and that only paid for the ad..

You will just have to wait on word of mouth and if you do good work it will come...displays help but IMO are a pain in the butt to worry someone will screw with and I don't like decorating someones store for free on the off chance someone may pick up a card or rewmember my name and call me, but it works well for a few folks. For one guy that use to be on here that is about all he did, and I assume still does a good fish business.

5. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I think my telephone book ad is money well spent.

6. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Unless your the cheapest guy in town forget it.
    Price shoppers use newspapares and yellow pages.
    Biggest waste of money you will ever gamble with
    Play lotto tickets you'll get a better return on your dollar

7. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Well Dennis I have never disagreed with you but there are exceptions to every rule. I'm on the white river and a lot of tourist come here to trout fish and they have to find your name somehow. The guides, the docks, word of mouth or the yellow pages. They are not here more than a couple of days and they have to get your number somehow. I know a lot of your customers seek you out but your name had to get out some how. Website and word of mouth? I guess.

8. *

* Liberalism IS A MENTAL ILLNESS !

Holmes, I regress in my statement with your situation.
    If you are in an area that has heavy tourism that will be your targeted market then I see why your success with it works.
    You didn't state that before ;D
    When it comes to local marketing, word of mouth travels fast and most locals will know where and what you are about without looking for you in the yellow pages.
    Yellow pages are liistings most people use and will go down the list till they hit the price they want to pay.
    Okay Holmes I'll agree with you when it comes to giving info to tourists in just for a few days.
    ;D

9. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Well you get those tourist also but I take it they plan ahead to bring it to you before they even leave home. Do you contribute that to word of mouth or your web site or both? Talk to you later, Im going to buy some lotto tickets. ;D

10. I put up some of my fish in BARBER shop and it was my best advertisment....

11. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I don't know how the people in your area are but if I put an ad in the local news paper here I would get hate mail and harassing phone calls. I would put a fish in our local archery and fishing tackle stores before I would put an ad in the paper.