1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

shipping european mounts

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Budders, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Budders

Budders New Member

Iowa
    Hey can anyone tell me a good way to ship wt european skull mounts w/ an oak base? Need to ship from Iowa to New York and I would like to get them there in good condition. Also, who do you recommend using, ups, fed ex, etc.... I should mention that both deer I am shipping are 1 1/2 yr old bucks so the antlers are not very big. Also, any idea on price for shipping something like that.

2. well, I will give you my way of packaging, not that it is the perfect way but it has worked for me for years. I make a box out of 7/16 OSB and 2x2's. Staple and glue together a box a little bigger than the mount. wrap shrink wrap around the whole mount, plaque and all, especially the nose area, wrap it separate. Then set the mount on a couple layers of large diameter bubble wrap, then stuff the remaining empty areas around the mount with bubble wrap. I put a couple of layers folded over the top of the box and screw the lids down with screws. The pressure from the bubble wrap keeps everything in its place and I have yet( knock on wood) to have a problem. You do realize by me saying this last part I have jinxed myself terribly!!! One other tip, put hot glue on the tooth area that makes contact with the wood. No scratches!
    I ship only FedEx and use the ground service for the euros. Again I have not had any problems. (there I go again).
    Good Luck

3. Taxidermy Nutt

Taxidermy Nutt yup, i can b cray-Z!

He said it all, i stand behind his every word. Thats almost exactly how i would ship, only i myself wouldnt take the time to make my own box. I just asked the local recycle guy and he found me a bunch of perfect boxes. Also make sure that if you can get insurance on shipping, that way if anything gets broke along the way then with whatever amount you choose the object is worth, the person receiving the package will be given kinda like a refund by the post office or shipping/delivering office. Best of Luck!

4. chbtaxidermy

chbtaxidermy When in Austin, do like the Liberals: Hug a Tree

Fritz: Do you put any special notations on the box (fragile, this end up, etc.)?? I have to ship a couple of antler sets, which I have never done any shipping before.... Thanks!!

5. Taxidermy Nutt

Taxidermy Nutt yup, i can b cray-Z!

yes that would be a good idea that way they know to be careful... good thinking

6. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Okay...here's my 2 pennies. I just shipped 2 bull elk in the same box...one euro, one panel mount. I made my box out of 7/16 th's OSB also...2x2's as well, custom fit to the bulls. I put a 1/2 inch OSB bottom on it though. I screwed through the bottom & into the wood of the panel mount. I wrapped the euro in bubble wrap and taped it on. I put foam padding where the antlers touched and I tied them together with oxygen tubing covered twine. (I have A LOT of tubing that belonged to my Grandma...it leaves NO mark on the antlers at all.)

I tied each antler with twine, then screwed the twine to the side of the box, but the fit of the box was tight enough that I probably didn't need to do that. The elk got there fine. The guys cut the twine, removed 3 screws, and hung them on the wall. ;)

The box weighed 50 pounds, but was awkward. I put rope handles on it...drilled holes, tied rope...wrote on the top of the box, "HANDLES" and arrows to the side. The Fed Ex gal LOVED those. ;)

However you ship it, be aware that the insurance...it may not do you any good at all. If you ever actually have to file a claim, they will fight you tooth & nail. Here's hoping you never have to file though. ;)

7. I have a very good friend who works for FedEx and he told me not to put any labeling like that on the box because there are A-holes that work for them that take that as a challenge. As far as insurance it is worthless in my opinion. The regulations standards for shipping will basically let the shipping company off every time. You have to have a box in a box with 2 inches between all sides, top and bottom or you are screwed. The only labels my FedEx friend liked were the anti shock or anti tip labels, but I basically over-build my boxes and seem to have been successful so far. Antler sets are easy, it's the skulls that are fragile, especially the nose pieces. That is why I wrap the skull in shrink wrap, it holds everything together. On large boxes I, too put the rope handles on the sides.
    I ship a lot of frozen meat from our processing plant and just last year I switched to using Coleman type coolers...what a difference in the FedEx guys attitude. They stack together, they don't crush if they are not full, they have handles and I went from Priority Overnight to 2nd Day, saving the hunters a lot of cash. Plus they get a cooler out of he deal to bring back for next year. If you make anybodys job easier they are better to deal with. I know if I get in animals that are clean and cooled it makes for a far better day than if someone brings in a carcass that has lain out all day in the sun and is dirty and stinks. Same with taxidermy...clean capes, caped out right with enough brisket, no holes and complete eyes and ears makes for a good day.

8. Lisa M

I've heard the "Fragile" labeling is a "C'monnnnnnn...gimme your best shots!" challenge too. ??? & :-\ at that. I've also heard that we have to label things "Taxidermy Specimens" and that we shouldn't label them with anything at all, ever.

I guess it comes down to "Trust as best you can...and hope like heck it all works out" situation. Dang it. :mad:

9. Shove some white styrofoam on the antlers so they dont puncture the box. Then bubble wrap and tightly tape the sinus area of the skull. I always have lots of house insulation on hand to ship frozen items. I wrap this around the skull until it is a tight fit in the box and ship it. In most cases, if the skull is on a plaque, I unbolt it and wrap the plaque seperately. Just make sure the skull is a snug fit and it shouldnt move around at all and the insulation will take the abuse.
    Travis

10. Lisa M

I forgot to mention two things. #1...old garden hoses...cut to a uniform length and not all raggety...put them in the sunlight to warm up, or warm water. Slide them over the tips. Same result as fish's white styrofoam.

#2...www.uline.com ;) All SORTS of great packing stuff there. :)

11. Budders

Budders New Member

Iowa
    Thanks everybody for your input. Going to build my boxes this weekend, ship out on Monday, and keep my fingers crossed!!

12. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

You can also use plastic grocery bags or trash bags put the bag down in along the side side with the opening up to the top, Take the Blue Great Stuff insulation and shoot it inside the bab and it will expand to fill the spaces without crushing your mounts. If you ever get packages with grey filler packs with yellow foam in them that is what the foam is.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

13. Lisa M

Sarge, IMHO, the stuff inside the gray bags...that is not the same thing that comes in the can from the store. I thought it was. I put Great Stuff in a grocery sack, and it didn't cure well. After 3 days, it was still squishy. I think it needs air to cure.

The stuff in the gray bags is from www.uline.com and really isn't expensive at all per unit. Here's a direct link: http://www.uline.com/Browse_Listing_7701.asp?keywords=foam+packing ;)

14. Sarge

Here I thought I had found something that Blue Great stuff was good for the stuff never gets harder then a nurf football.

Sorry I tried guess I was wrong there is nothing that stuff is good for.

Jeff

15. Lisa M

No hun...guessing gets it done some times. It's just that I tried it & I know it doesn't work. :( Dang it.

And it is good for some things...habitat/making rocks...sealing cracks in windows & doors...I bet if you let it cure up you could even carve forms out of it. But if it doesn't have access to air (like in a bag) it doesn't cure. Dang it. Still a good thought. ;)

16. Sarge

Oh I know the Big Stuff Red can works for forms I use it on antler panels to shape the form for the leather let it set a couple days and carve it with an electric knife down to just smaller then you want then mache it to give it a hard coating let dry sand it to finish shape and wrap it. Costs me about $21.00 for leather,panel and all and get $95.00 each so it is pretty economical for me I get 8 rack panels per can so it only costs me $0.50 each for the foam.

The blue can will never harden it is crap, unless you want to make decorative sponges that don't absorb water. I have sprayed that Blue can crap on the bench and it was still soft a month later.

Jeff