1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Can you identify this feather?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Brian B, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Brian B

Brian B New Member

TN
    Can you identify this feather? My brother sent me this picture and asked me what bird it came from. He found it at about 10,800 feet while elk hunting in the Uncompahgre National Forest in Colorado. He said the bird had been killed and there was just a pile of feathers on the ground. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Brian

2. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

A size would be most beneficial. Coloration tends to lean towards upland game of some sort.. Grouse maybe... Although, the undulations on the long side along with the coloration of the shaft, strogly suggest Northern Flicker, yellow shafted variety.

Once again, a size reference would be great. The feather is a seondary flight feather.

Jon

3. PA

PA Guest

I would go with the Red-shafted flicker - Colaptes auratus cafer.

4. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It's definitely from a red-shafted flicker. As Jon said, it's a secondary wing feather. (Outer secondary, left wing - if you want to get absurdly picky about it - :))
    Don't get caught with it!

-Nancy

5. JonHarleTX

JonHarleTX Ya'll hear that. George just signed in. Quick Hide

[​IMG]

Okay, agreed red-shafted.. I guess I'm color blind.. it sure looked yeller to me this morning. This is a RS wing and it looks the same..

Jon~

6. Brian B

Brian B New Member

TN
    Thanks everyone for your help. I will let him know what it is.