1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

snow goose decoys made with foam

Discussion in 'Molding and Casting' started by jon, Dec 8, 2006.

1. has anyone ever thought of this. make a mold and use the same foam they us to make forms with. its fairly durable, and cheap. whould this work at all. ive used some two part foam for altering, but what kind of foam would you recomend using for poring a decoy. i though of using hevy wire to keep the neck from breaking off. you could also use a 12 oz cup inside and upside down to make a real motion decoy i wonder if foam would even hold white paint or not. any ideas or help would be helpful.

thanks

jon

2. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

Hey Jon- Hardcore decoys were originally made from urethane foam, so were Hooker duck decoys. Right now, the only ones are Columbia River decoys (ducks). A dense foam holds up reasonably well. Alot of foam decoys are cast first in a thin coat of rigid urethane, though. You can paint urethane foam but most people prefer to spray a base coat (barrier coat) into the mold first and then pour the foam. the foam adheres to the barrier coat and there's you base color, of which other colors will stick to. Good luck! Dave Smith

3. where could i get a the urethane that you speak of. i think ill take a crack at it. is there a company that sells differernt kinds of foam. thanks

jon

4. BIGUN

BIGUN Member

type in 2-part urethane foam kits on the net..... also reasearch mannikins, TAP Plastics- lot's of places. Go for around 4 pound density. If you mold a commercial decoy, just don't mold a DSD- he he Dave Smith