1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First finished skull..BADGER

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by brigham boy, Jul 24, 2008.

1. brigham boy

brigham boy "if it's horny, mount it"

utah
    This is are first finished skull. just wondering how we did. please leave your thoughts.. thanks much... ;D

2. mahatma

mahatma Vertex

Texas
    Is there anything on the skull or teeth or are they just that white?? I think it looks excellent. I hope I can get the teeth on what I am working on that bright.

3. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman $90 for your fur made into trapper hat or mitts!

VERY nice for a first skull and good pics too!

4. brigham boy

utah
    thanks guys..

we Just soaked in a 3% peroxide bath and sealed with elmers glue and water 50/50. i was suprised how white it turned out also.

5. ace man

ace man New Member

looks real nice

6. brigham boy

utah
    thanks. Also forgot to mention this was macerated then degreased in dawn and water ..

7. southernskullworks

southernskullworks New Member

Looks great!

8. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

How are the nasal bones? How about the other side? I want to see more before I say how pretty it is...but the side you've shown so far looks good. ;)

9. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Same here. Very nice job for your first. Lets see the other side and the front too. :) It looks a bit like your lower jaw doesn't quite match up properly. We could help with that for the next one if we can see.

10. Taxidermy Nutt

Taxidermy Nutt yup, i can b cray-Z!

nicely done

11. brigham boy

utah
    here is the other side and the front. there is one small tooth missing in the lower front of jaw i will replace it later. The jaw seemed too fit real nicely but it is the 1st one

12. Sea Wolf

Seems like some of the teeth aren't in the original spaces. If the jaw is glued together properly in front, the teeth should come together evenly and the jaw would close. Did you glue the jaw hinge together so it doesn't move?

13. brigham boy

utah
    i purposly glued it open a little thought it looked cooler. some of the little teeth were confusing they are so tiny i just put them were i thought they fit. it does shut all the way but it still looks a little goofy in the front. i just thought maybe this damn badger had an ugly grill.. lol. ill see what i can do to fix it and try and get some more pics up thank you for your help

14. Taxidermy Nutt

Taxidermy Nutt yup, i can b cray-Z!

i wasnt going to say anything earlier, but since seawolf did, ya the teeth are deffinately out of whack. its funny! but still a good mount

15. Lisa M

Lisa M Swing like no one is watching...lol

Not bad for your first Brigham. Here's a thought...since you're brand new...when you're fleshing the skull, take pictures. It'll give you visual reminders about which tooth goes where. It's like trying to complete a puzzle when you don't know what it is. Yes the skull will look different without the flesh & once it's whitened...but the relationship of tooth B to teeth A, C, D, E, F, G & H will stay the same. Some teeth just fit...and if it doesn't fit exactly right, try a different hole. ;) You're off to a good start though. Good job.

16. PA

PA Well-Known Member

The teeth in the wrong place makes the skull look WAY off from what it should be. Even the canines are in the wrong place as well as the entire set of incisors. I would soak them up and re-glue.

17. brigham boy

utah
    Thats a great idea .. thanks a bunch.

18. Sea Wolf

Or, you can keep that skull as a first .. and a reminder. I have the first skull I ever tried to clean still. 40+ years old. A skunk. Most of the teeth are missing and I used bleachj on it to whiten it. It's slowly going to powder but I can still pick it up and remember getting started on this venture and hiding projects from my parents so they wouldn't get tossed out. :)

19. brigham boy

utah
    i will just keep it as a reminder. learn and improve on the next one. great idea. ;D

20. mahatma

mahatma Vertex

Texas
    It still looks really good BB. It may not be exactly correct but you got the process done right. Those teeth look great in color.

I have been using this post to show people what that elmers glue and water will do.