1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#43

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Rick Krane, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

The Week in Fish Pictures~ Year 2# Week#43

A great big hello from Hinsdale New Hampshire! What a great taxidermy convention in New Jersey this past week! I once again want to thank the great folks of the Garden State Taxidermy Association for letting me hang out and paint a bass for them!

I want to thank all of the great contributors who really show not only great talent and work but rather give such inspiration to all of us!
    A great week Fishheads!

Been a wonderful week for The Week in Fish Pictures WOW! With every great week we all shared in the work we do as taxidermists with our fish pictures! There was some really inspirational fish work last week I hope you all had a great week my friends and family of Fishheads!!! Lets start off with some Big time thanks to our great contributors this past week!!

Here’s a big hats off to the contributors who shared their talents! A special thanks goes out to one of my partners in fish crimes Mr. George Dante!!! Aaron Stehling, Brian Watson, Durbinstaxidermy, Denny, Jason Ward, Gulfcoast, Doug A, Heavybarrel270, Steve Hackett, Mark VanLeuven, Johnny Bollman, and Hula Hula!!!

From beginner's to the best in the world we all join in every week in a critique free and hassle free string with nothing more then great artist and inspiring fish taxidermist and carves get together to share with one another their praise and inspiration of good will and friendship to one another.

I thought I would start the week with a few pictures of one of the if not the most talented Fishheads in the business! Our great friend and my brother from another mother west coast style Mr. David R. Campbell!! Nestled up in the Mecca of some of the greatest Fishheads of all time Dave quietly forges out a legacy of great fish work! I wanted too start off the week with a beautiful Steelhead from our most generous friend! Dave has raised the bar in fish taxidermy for over a ¼ century and continues to push us all into believing it can be done and done well!

So here goes!

I hope you enjoy the week!
    So with out further ado lets get week #43 under way.

So here we go and here is to a great week in fish pictures!!!! #43! Enjoy!

My Best!
    Your Friend
    Rick Krane

Here is the work of Mr. Dave Campbell of Tacoma Washington!
    [​IMG]
    I think I see the new great Jeff Lumsden fish eyes!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. What kind of stuff is that? Get real. Look UFD, just go ahead and send that fish to me I will hide it for you!!! You dont want everyone seeing that fish so just go ahead and send it I promise to hide it in my home!

3. J. Sonner

J. Sonner New Member

Can UFD paint or can he just flat out paint. Beautiful fish Dave. Thanks for posting Rick. I still think even a simplified tutorial would be really neat to see. Maybe Rick could put a quick one together for you.

4. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

Rick, you post something like that right off the bat and no one else is gonna post their pics. Who wants to follow Mr. Campbell? Dave, I really like the driftwood and rocks together like that. Are those rocks carved or cast? They look to me to be carved and if that's the case, what are they carved from? Awesome Job!

5. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Dave's steelie......re-type,re-type,re-type. Not sure how to put it in words. Jeez Dave, amazing.....simply amazing.

6. Vellu

Vellu New Member

Piece of art that Salomon. Here is casting European Perch .
    Sorry that poor picture :-\

7. Bill4bass

Bill4bass New Member

I'm speechless!!! :eek: What an unbelievably great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. AnglingArtisan

AnglingArtisan Well-Known Member

Glad to see you've healed up 110% Dave.
    Did the Doc install some bionic stuff in there to make you even better? :D

9. den007

den007 Active Member

I thought this photo of a very dark walleye from stained Canadian waters might be of interest.Even the belly was full of details. Tasted great!
    Nothing much exciting to work on this week.......more walleye, bass, the usual.

10. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Hey everyone!!!! Wow, I have been moving my house/shop the past few weeks, and I dont have internet out at the new place yet!!! Boy did I miss some great work!!!!!

Dave, your work has, and always will be an inspiration to me. But, you already new this. LOL> Glad to see your injury hasnt phased you in the least.
    Rick, the w.shark project looked amazing last week. Glad to hear that you got to take the family on vacation!!!!!

To everyone that has been working on fish, and posting there work lately: GREAT JOB, AND KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK. Im especially impressed with Jeff's new eyes, and the work that some of our fellow artists have done with them. Havent had the pleasure to try them out yet, but will make it a point to.

I have a Potbellied Largemouth that is ready to paint, and hopefully I will have it done tomarrow and post pics of it tomarrow or sunday. First fish I have worked on for quite some time. I will try and stay more caught up on this place. Read through 3pages of past posts to get to this one!!!LOL.

Jimmy

11. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

WOW Dave......I love to see your work.
    Rich, Beautiful job on yours also. Excellent detail work.
    Nice work to the others:
    I posted at least the fish before but I felt not complete without the young angler with her first fish. It was my gift to a friends daughter. The picture says it all. Very good feeling.

12. Not much to say but wow! Dave sure can paint. That is a great picture Brain sure makes it all worth it when you get the smile back.

13. Wild Bill

Wild Bill If my hats missing im fishing

Dave and Rich are a tough act to follow. Awesome fish guys !! Here's a Walleye.

[​IMG]

14. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

I finished a wholesale replica (my mold/cast) crappie.

[​IMG]

15. Joey Arender

Joey Arender big mouth alert

Dang I have a steelhead to paint soon I think I will save and use Dave's mount photo that thing is unreal !!!!!! really
    nice walleye den...that is one fish I have yet to paint. maybe soon.
    way to go Brian...nice crappie and a great thing to do for a kid.
    AA sweet pair of Browns
    and Gary that is the most natural "Crappie" replica I have ever seen.
    Sorry if I left any out..great fish this week starting out

16. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Sweet

Sweet crappie Gary!

:)

Kerby...

17. den007

den007 Active Member

Gary, those are some of the most realistic fin vermiculations I have seen on a crappie. I know they can be maddening to get just right. Is it black on white, or white on black? I have tried both ways, and everything in between to get them right. Sometimes I do, and sometimes I am not satisfied. I know, reference, reference, but I bet some of that is just off the cuff, eh? Same with pike replicas. That blank slate is intimidating sometimes. I do most of my stuff from memory, but then most of the vermiculations are not as accurate as those. Any tips? I was thinking one could get some photos of actual tails, darken them, and place behind transparent fins to get an accurate template. Has anyone ever tired that?

18. Den I know you asked Gary but I Normally use a Black Base and white spotting.
    The trick is on some where it is actually a white line that breaks up and then goes into spots. this is normally on the anal fin. but I got a nice black crappie the other day that was all spotted and no lines.
    Each lake and fish is different, I wish there was a silver bullet for all of them.
    A real Pain in the butt.

Here is a White I am finishing up,
    sorry its a smaller pic, but its at the stage where I am doing the fin spotting. Its intense now but will be toned down in the next step.
    [​IMG]

19. Josh is that your cast fish in your tutorials, it is looking nice, Gary nice crappie also and a lot of nice fish on this post all together. rw

20. GBRUCH

GBRUCH "I am nothing without christ".....John 15:5

Dennis
    I tried a new trick I got from a competitor in Texas(I forgot his name--lil help here Becky P.). This fella had a black crappie that I judged and he used some stenciling or latex to mask the markings. I told him I liked the results but he needed to tone to soften the edges of the vermiculations. I thought I would give his technique a try here on a wholesale fish.
    I painted the fin 1st a greyish yellowish color and then using reference I painted latex where I wanted a light colored marking. I then painted some black umber over the fin. I then removed the latex and highlighted the darker areas again and also cleaned up the markings by painting some Diver grey over them. Finally I toned some transparent golden yellow and some light Sienna in areas.
    I first painted/experimented on the soft dorsal and it worked satisfatory. I rushed the other fins a bit due to the wholesale pricing especially in the tail but could see that it will be how I handle these tricky fins from now on. Of all the fish I do painting replica crappies is NOT my fav.
    I am glad so many liked it.